Free camping?

F
FernRidgeChamp
Anyone know a spot to camp for free around the south lake? Thinking of somewhere around the train tracks but don't know and do not want to get in trouble.

Thanks,
Fern

W
womanwhofishes
dont know about free...

dont know about free...

Since I used to live near to there.. I would walk up the tracks thur the tunnel if there not wking on it yet... and look out for locals..:shock:
The coast rail line is not running..

There is a couple of resorts there..(Osprey Point (i wked there many yrs) and north lake resort) I think its there OFF season now and they both have tent areas that would be cheaper then the ON season.
why not have hot water and showers..and Osprey has cabins...:think: and boat rentals, BAR, Great pizza..and a website... They are running a special on staying there a couple of days you get a some OFF on a boat rental ...dunno about north lake..Also a state park or two.AGAIN its the OFF season so i would check or call..
bexs

F
FernRidgeChamp
Ooooh, I meant north lake. We camp and North lake often, I just called them and it's over $20 a night. Not worth it IMO. Are you sure the railways are not being used? Ha ha.

Thanks.

W
womanwhofishes
Repair work begins on rail link tunnels

Repair work begins on rail link tunnels

Thursday, September 10, 2009 |
A Tillamook construction team has started work to fix dangerous tunnels along the Coos Bay Rail Link.

LRL Construction began removing rotting timber sets from a tunnel outside Vaughn on Tuesday, the first of four tunnels scheduled for improvements.

The workers are replacing the wooden supports with steel sets, as well as bracing rocks with bolts and concrete, said Martin Callery, director of communications for the Oregon International Port of Coos Bay.

The timber supports were damaged when drainage systems failed to remove standing water from the tunnels, Callery said.

The $2.5 million project is scheduled to take about six months to complete. The port’s also looking to repair bridges and tracks along the route connecting Coos Bay to Eugene. The port is applying for a grant through the federal stimulus package which is scheduled to announce funding in February.

Callery is cautiously optimistic the line could re-open as early as late spring 2010

Source:theworldlink.com
By Alexander Rich, Staff Writer

W
womanwhofishes
A new line of talks

A new line of talks

Friday, September 18, 2009
Port trying to lease or purchase crucial tracks from CB-Coquille
Union Pacific still owns the section of rail line between North Bend and Coquille.
Repairs are under way on four tunnels along the 111-mile Coos Bay Rail Link between Eugene and Coos Bay. The Oregon International Port of Coos Bay is looking for more funds to be able to re-open the line sometime next summer or fall. But the port really needs use of the spur from Coos Bay to Coquille for the line to chug into business.

Two of the big shippers that will help pay for service are Georgia-Pacific and Roseburg Forest Products.

“We need some kind of operating agreement (with Union Pacific) to serve those two customers,” said Martin Callery, director of communications.

The port has approached UP, which technically still has a lease agreement with Central Oregon Pacific Railroad, to work a deal.

Usually silent on local rail issues, Union Pacific’s director of corporate communications did respond to questions this week about railroad talks.

“Union Pacific has had discussions with the port about that piece of property,” Tom Lange said.

And that’s all he said in an e-mail.

The port already received $2.5 million in federal funds to repair four tunnels along the line. It has hired LRL Construction of Tillamook to do the work, which began last Tuesday.

But repairs are needed to the tracks and bridges along the line before rail service can resume, Callery said. So the port recently submitted another application for federal stimulus funds, some of which could be used to help upgrade the UP track. The deadline to apply for the funds expired Tuesday, and federal officials are expected to award funds sometime this winter, Callery said.

Callery predicted the port could re-open the line by next September ��” if the port can pull together enough money. The port purchased the rail line in May from CORP, which closed the line in September 2007 over safety concerns regarding three tunnels.

Source:theworldlink.com
By Alexander Rich, Staff Writer

W
womanwhofishes
and

and

We wont put another one up about a young man who stoled a police cruser out of NB and hide it in the tunnel nearest to North lake:think:
and seriously check the OFF season prices mention it...

Last edited:
F
FernRidgeChamp
Oh gosh, thanks for the links. Algae bloom advisory in effect for tenmile lake so the trip is now delayed,

FRC

W
womanwhofishes
yep that too..sorry