Frankenstein crab trap

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I put this "CrabCondo" together last June to try and put a poorly performing trap to better use.

We use mostly the 24"x24" box traps that are very common, economical, and perform well. We also had one smaller (18" X 18") box trap that would not always lay flat on the bottom, light current could tilt it up, it would commonly come up totally empty in an area of good crab, clearly not working as a "trap". I tried adding some rebar to the bottom for weight but still had issues with it, plus it was really too small to leave for a long soak (while trolling for salmon, which is clearly the more important activity :D)...

So I cut the small trap in half diagonally with a hacksaw, took 2 sides off of a new large trap, and grafted the cut trap onto opposite ends using stainless steel wire and nylon zip ties. The resulting "CrabCondo" has 6 doors and room for 2 loads of bait, it sits flat in moving water and holds lots of crab.

My goal was a low cost trap that would perform similar to a much higher cost larger trap/pot. Our best pull of it last summer, in August near the Coast Guard Station on the Siuslaw, we got 4 big keepers :dance: out of the 40 or so crab in it after perhaps a 30 minute soak...

as a side benefit, the 2 sides that I took off the big trap were put to use on one of our older box traps, replacing sides with lots of rust and wonky doors.

C
capblack
pulling that up with 40 crab must have been a real workout. looks good though.

B
billfisher
Looks good!

O
OnTheFly
capblack said:
Cool looking trap but capblck is right about the effort to bring it up.

N
nwkiller
that is a badass trap!!!!!

N
nwkiller
great idea

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
capblack said:

capblack is dead on here, I have one of those little Scotty Trap-eeze pulley arms that locks into the same mount as my Quickdraw pole holders. I don't always use the pulley arm thing to bring the traps up but it sure is nice to have when traps gets really full of crab. Once at the surface, my wife and I can easily lift the CrabCondo into the boat by each grabbing one end of it.

thanks all for the nice comments.

T
Thuggin4Life
That's such a sweet idea. Nice looking pot.

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
Nice addition to the regular box trap.........but it would weigh enough to pull a hemroid!! I will go with my old box traps and pull them often. Pulley arm would be a must if it got loaded up. Good idea!!!