Fourmile brook trout, maybe splake?

N
nymph21
caught this fish at fourmile lake on sunday evening. At first my friend and I thought it was a lake trout, but the fins on it definitely belong to a brook trout. your guys thoughts.

• DSCN0780.jpg
troutdude
troutdude
Neither. It's a Mackinaw (Lake Trout)! NICE FISH!

Those lakers were stocked by ODFW in 2001 or 2002. The fish were raised at Klamath Hatchery, from eggs from Wyoming. They have been spawning, in Fourmile; so are now naturalized.

N
nymph21
Do the mackinaw have red spots on there sides though this one had 2. That's why I didn't think that's what it was because of those spots.

troutdude
troutdude
I've been reviewing more pics, and reference materials.

Those red spots--and white edged fins--would indicate that I was mistaken. It looks to be a Bull Trout...an endangered specie that MUST be released. It isn't legal to keep them.

R
rippin fish lips
Definetly a Bull trout. Nice one at that.

N
nymph21
Well good thing cause i released it. I very rarely keep larger fish.

B
Big3d
Nice freakin fish dude, and good call on the c&r!

N
nymph21
Thanks

M
Mad dog
nymph21 said:
caught this fish at fourmile lake on sunday evening. At first my friend and I thought it was a lake trout, but the fins on it definitely belong to a brook trout. your guys thoughts.

The tail says 100% brook trout....lakers have a deeply forked tail. looks like a nice brookie not in spawning color to me....Nice fish! Why didn't you guys catch more? ;)

M
Mad dog
rippin fish lips said:
Definetly a Bull trout. Nice one at that.

No bull trout in fourmile....not a splake either....splake are nothing more than genetically mutated theme park monsters....the ODFW doesn't stock them....they don't occur in the wild, I don't think 4-mile brookies are gettin' all JIGGY with stocked lakers! What you have there is a naturally reproducing, quality wild fish!!! David say's he would have taken it home and ate it!!! :D

N
nymph21
Ya i searched that and found no bull trout in fourmile. David would of took it home cause he is a bastardos.

H
halibuthitman
thats a pretty nice Brookie..

N
nymph21
Thank you.

A
Agordon
Nice fish! It definitely looks like a brook trout, and not a bull or laker, with the red fins that you pointed out. I've never caught a splake, so I can't tell if that is what it is, but it is at least part, and most likely all, brook trout.

troutdude
troutdude
Bull Trout pic.jpg

Brook and Lake Trout pic.jpg

These pics, are from pages 18 & 19 of the ODFW reg book. Based on these pics--grayish coloration, red spots and slight mid-line tail fin indentation--I still lean towards a Bull Trout.

The only other thing that comes to mind, is a cross breed of some kind.

Last edited:
M
meluvtrout
Red fins = brook trout.