Found a topwater bite

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
I made it to a new lake I have been meaning to explore. Not a hidden lake or anything, just a bit of a drive. Down in the Sutherlin area.

Anyway, got out there in a light rain and caught a few right off on a Bomber Timmy Horton signature Long A in Watermelon Pearl. Man that is an effective bait for me. It only dives maybe three feet, but you can work it over grass pretty well because of that. Comes stock with Gamakatsu hooks too, nice to not have to change hooks on a bait for once.

IMG_3173_zpsscoqkz0g.png

The one speedboat on the lake when I got there must have been sad about the rain or something because they left and it was wonderfully peaceful.

IMG_3177_zpsgtde380v.png

I was fishing a lot faster than normal because I like to cover water and fish sort of "tournament style" for bites and to try and pull fish out of cover when I get to a new lake. It helps me identify key zones where I can return and fish methodically. Even still, the tube is a slow way to cover water, and I didn't fish the entire shoreline.

Saw a lot of bluegill, including a few good sized ones, and some yellow perch of the typical stunted variety. One gill tried to make friends with a Pointer Minnow...

IMG_3176_zps55i7l9vp.png

Also saw several TOAD largemouth. These were spawning on the main lake, and I don't feel proud or excited catching spawners, so I just made a note to go down there earlier next year.

As the sun started going down, I figured what the heck and tied on a Sammy. It proved to be a good move, and the topwater bite was excellent for at least an hour.

IMG_3183_zpsr0c9a6gl.png

IMG_3184_zpsxsh99sjd.png

IMG_3182_zpsiwehrzjy.png

All in all a productive and enjoyable outing, if one without landing big fish. Looks like a GREAT lake to fish an M.S. Slammer or a Mattlures Hardgill. I will be back without a doubt.

SS

Reactions: montym
M
Mr.Joshua
Nice work. gotta love being productive on new water, and catching bass on the surface is a blast.!

T
the_intimidator03
There are some nice bucketmouth in that lake. And some damn nice bluegill as well. Nice report

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
No doubt there are some good ones in there. I would say the three big fish I saw ranged from six to eight pounds. I'm pretty tickled to head back. Looks like a great place to night-fish as well.

T
the_intimidator03
Never have night fished it. The big downside to that lake is......waterskiers

G
Gulfstream
Gotta love the lucky craft! Not cheap but they do catch fish!

bass
bass
Great job! Sounds like a fantastic day on the water - especially some new water!