Ford's Pond Fishing Reports

DOKF
DOKF
NKlamerus said:
I have emailed the group twice, I have also met quite a few of the members when I'm loading/unloading

There's crappie in there but the city pumps treated sewage water in there, so eat with caution.

They had drain pipes running all day Saturday
Cities dump treated sewage into the Willamette upstream from cities that draw water from the Willamette ....

Not that I would eat anything that came out of the Willamette. Just saying ...

jamisonace
jamisonace
NKlamerus said:
I have emailed the group twice, I have also met quite a few of the members when I'm loading/unloading

There's crappie in there but the city pumps treated sewage water in there, so eat with caution.

They had drain pipes running all day Saturday
Good for you for trying. I reached out to the Umpqua Enhancement Derby people to see what I can do to help with the fight for hatchery fish on the North Umpqua. They are bank rolling the attorneys to fight the ODFW Commission. I offered time and/or money and never heard back. Go figure.

Thanks for the heads up on treated sewage.

Edit:

The water flowing in is considered potable.

Last edited:
Reactions: NKlamerus
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Considered potable like the water that's leeching into the everglades in Florida lol

People can go for it surely, crappie is delicious, going to be some bioaccumulation though

I think I saw some FB posts from others that also reached out about the hatchery's, and boycotting any businesses that were for it, pretty large array of them

jamisonace
jamisonace
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd be drinking it from a fountain. I might take a kid out there someday but it's probably not something I would spend time for myself doing.

I've been following the North Umpqua Summer Steelhead thing closely. Attending meetings and probably seeing most of the online posts about it. I saw the boycott thing but I don't buy from any of those places anyway so I guess I'm good there. LOL I can't help but believe that once predation is 100% of wild summer steelhead at all ages, the run will be extinct before too long. One of the most iconic runs in Oregon.

jamisonace
jamisonace
DOKF said:
Cities dump treated sewage into the Willamette upstream from cities that draw water from the Willamette ....

I live just downstream of the sewage plant on the South Umpqua. Literally within a quarter mile. I've always known the treated water is cleaner than the river water upstream but it's the raw sewage spills that used to occur that always grossed me out. Haven't heard of it happening since I was a kid though.

DOKF
DOKF
The further upstream the better, but downstream in Portland is like playing Russian Roulette with 6 bullets in a revolver ...

As a chemist, I used to work with water treatment facilities. Fully treated water is safe, maybe even good (probably better than bottled water), but you are right to fear raw overflows. Not that flooding ever happens here on the wet coast.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I know very little about anything but I figured feces flowing directly into the river right in front of me was probably something to avoid. Back then, the South Umpqua had a bad reputation and at the time all I knew was that it had lots of bass that should not be eaten. One day I was bragging to my junior high science teacher, Mr. Jackson, about all the bass I took home and put in the freezer. He called my mom and told her to throw them out. LOL

DOKF
DOKF
jamisonace said:
I know very little about anything but I figured feces flowing directly into the river right in front of me was probably something to avoid. Back then, the South Umpqua had a bad reputation and at the time all I knew was that it had lots of bass that should not be eaten. One day I was bragging to my junior high science teacher, Mr. Jackson, about all the bass I took home and put in the freezer. He called my mom and told her to throw them out. LOL
I have always fished for the table, usually salmonids and various ocean fish. But, I have occasionally harvested small mouth, walleye, and pike when I know the cleanliness of the source. Raw sewage is only a small part of the "bad stuff", but very visible.

Generally speaking, I don't usually target bass, catfish, or pan fish because of their eating habist. Even though I am aware that I might be missing out on opportunities.

I have caught them elsewhere, but my Oregon bucket list includes walleye and burbot; but only from clean waters. Even though they are voracious feeders, they tend to prefer live bait.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've caught burbot with live bait fish but I've only fished walleye with worms and done very well. Probably gonna try Saturday for walleye.

Reactions: DOKF
DOKF
DOKF
Good luck! I am looking forward to reading about your success.

Fummus
Fummus
DOKF said:

Ah yes, the Will-uh-mettee. Home of the three eyed catfish, and genderless river otters.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Some friends of mine fished it Friday and caught ~12 fish. I fished it Saturday morning for 2 hours, caught 3 fish. Same rigs, senko and Texas rigged creature. I've definitely caught the one with the messed up lip before.

• 20220514_075455.jpg
  • 20220514_084415.jpg
  • 20220514_091159.jpg
  • 20220514_091229.jpg
  • 20220514_084419.jpg
Reactions: fromthelogo, Diehard and Admin
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Did my usual Saturday morning trip but didn't stay or fish very long, caught one decent one and 2 dink's

The water has really done a 180, almost no visibility due to an algae bloom, and it's dropped at least 4' so the weeds are back in full swing, lots of bunching at the surface
InCollage_20220528_164247468.jpg

Reactions: fromthelogo and Admin
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Quick 1 hour trip around the loop to take a look.

It's pretty messy, water is weedy but also very dirty, usually the weeds clear up it up a little

The pump house was running constantly they must be getting a bunch of access water.
20220702_171102.jpg
20220702_170538.jpg

Reactions: Admin
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Did another trip to check it out before heading to the river, one small fish on a keitech. Water is pretty gross

If it clears back up by fall I may hit it more often
20220806_063723.jpg

Reactions: fromthelogo
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
My trip got called off early so I only had about an hour, but caught 2 little fish

Weeds are dying off and water is clearing up, the fall rush should be pretty good
20220827_144354.jpg

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
A very odd year for this place, once again the pipes with treated water were flowing the entire time I was there.

I threw a big bait all day and was rewarded with a few good follows and one taker

East side is clear and weedy, west side is nasty brown but clean
20221015_114045.jpg
20221015_113941.jpg
20221015_105952.jpg

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Wow guess it's been that long since I visited? No idea.

I spent all day Saturday mapping, only made a dozen casts or so, did find some more hidden stumps.

Weeds are clearing up, water is 40 degrees and muddy.

20221210_153006.jpg

Reactions: fromthelogo and Admin
D
DonF
NKlamerus said:
Got up way late and only ended up fishing for 45 minutes before that wind picked up! Hit some nasty waves and decided to call it, really nice when I showed up and got worse but never grabbed a photo of the white caps.

Had one bite but that's it, weeds are dying off nicely, water clarity is at its worst, and the water is back up to normal levels.

This year they (the city? Through "friends of Ford's pond") plan on finishing the paved trail around the pond, putting bathrooms and a kids park up on the hill, with no plans to put any money into the pond itself.

Eventually plan to put in a boat ramp on the north parking lot, which will really be the last nail in the coffin for a quiet bass spot.

Not sure how many "nature walks" have a gravel and black asphalt 8' sidewalk, they have removed 90% of the brush around the trail and waters edge too.
I think they do that to attract more people other than just fishermen. Then if it goes well they will put in parking spots and charge you to park there. Next will come the campground and water skier's! The pay toilets will be free when you pay for parking!

Top Bottom