Ford's Pond Fishing Reports

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Got up way late and only ended up fishing for 45 minutes before that wind picked up! Hit some nasty waves and decided to call it, really nice when I showed up and got worse but never grabbed a photo of the white caps.

Had one bite but that's it, weeds are dying off nicely, water clarity is at its worst, and the water is back up to normal levels.

This year they (the city? Through "friends of Ford's pond") plan on finishing the paved trail around the pond, putting bathrooms and a kids park up on the hill, with no plans to put any money into the pond itself.

Eventually plan to put in a boat ramp on the north parking lot, which will really be the last nail in the coffin for a quiet bass spot.

Not sure how many "nature walks" have a gravel and black asphalt 8' sidewalk, they have removed 90% of the brush around the trail and waters edge too.

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
Reactions: jamisonace and Admin
S
Snopro
NKlamerus said:
Not sure how many "nature walks" have a gravel and black asphalt 8' sidewalk
ADA compliant ones?

Sorry to hear your spot is being over developed. When I'm looking for new spots to fish, absence of boat ramps is an important factor.

Reactions: NKlamerus
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Not likely, it's all gravel parking lots surrounded by logs.

The upper lot even being paved would be a 30mph roll down the hill lol.

Fummus
Fummus
Am planning to give Fords a go here in the next day or two. So far I've pulled black crappie, blue gills, yellow perch and of course bass out of there. Confident there are catfish as well, as they were there in the past.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Hey bud did you make it out?

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Decided to splurge a little and make the trip south, which is getting right on the line of too expensive to do often.

Arrived about 2pm and fished until 5, not a single fish. Never even saw any bait or anything.

Wind was blowing pretty steady and I could feel a small cold front blow through at one point, but it never actually rained. Pretty much ideal fishing conditions for this time of year.

Water is high and dirty, weeds are pretty cleaned up and everything is nice and slimey.

Only thing I regret not trying was a Texas rigged creature bait or maybe thrown a jig more.

Ford's Pond Fishing Report

Reactions: fromthelogo
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Arrived at the pond about 7 am yesterday, fished for a few hours on and off before the other 3 people finally were ready to fish, about noon.

We fished it for another 2 hours without a single bite, fighting the fronts that came through the whole time.

Reactions: fromthelogo and Admin
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Finally a fish worth posting!

4lbs on the dot, fell for a Texas rigged strike king menace.

Some smaller fish as well, all hugging timber still.

Water was 55 degrees.

5.jpg

fromthelogo
fromthelogo
Very nice fish!

O
Oregunner
I live locally, and walk the nature trail with my wife. I haven’t fished there, but it’s on my list. I do fish the river for smallmouth.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
It's time!! The lake did a full 180 over the last week.

Water is 80% clear. Bass are paired up or hugging cover.

Caught 8 fish, between swimbaits, senkos, and craws.

Slept in and Definitely regretted it, I was there about 9-12 in the morning. Weather started nice but had one large lingering cloud that eventually dropped hail and rain for awhile
5867d098e64698bc43f1ab7f4fe2203e.jpg
0bb871d88d9da98cbf1d351f2477d8fc.jpg
8703db5b7184b9563b3d1c2c0fe0f385.jpg
ecd10b3ee0c7f6e75b8197aa68556f82.jpg
05216aa8c2d6656a551181410cce1592.jpg
2b8338c803a3374d4995b9b3a30f783b.jpg
02398de1a97c30b6ac5e5607af15e3d8.jpg
30c6f71b2091f7bef6d4a98ba3e301be.jpg
9236c9d45f202e8879a8f4b9cb049710.jpg

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Got blown off the water today, that wind was non stop. 5 fish, one good 4lber .

J
JMak97008
How is the bank fishing out there? Appears to be relatively open.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
JMak97008 said:
How is the bank fishing out there? Appears to be relatively open.
It is extreme open. They have done a great job at removing most/all of the cover at the bank

Still really need to keep an eye out for ticks if your off the paved trail. They get super heavy in that grass

The main lot is closer to the structure side of the pond, but it's a big hill to walk

The satellite lot on the north bank is right on the water, less cover on that side but you could fish all the way over to the main stuff

Reactions: JMak97008
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Quite the chilly and foggy morning. It was 37 when I pulled into the parking lot, within 5 minutes there was a kayaker, 2 bank fisherman, and 2 guys in a Jon boat

Caught 5 fish, 2 over 4lbs

Water is definitely the dirtiest I've seen it all spring, fish were tight to cover and wouldn't eat anything moving.

Fished it about 645am-1030am
20220423_071323.jpg
20220423_075925.jpg
323202210405.jpg
3232022104035.jpg
3232022104136.jpg

Reactions: Admin and fromthelogo
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
2 fish this morning I spent a lot of time scanning, found some hidden gems for cover out there.

I had to fish it Sunday which I definitely don't prefer, it was hammered on Saturday, lots of trash and foot traffic everywhere

My setting were turned up a little too high but the first photo is some logs, 2nd is a tire
20220501_091213.jpg
20220501_071318.jpg
20220501_072751.jpg
20220501_104830.jpg

Reactions: fromthelogo
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Busy day, 9 bass and giant crappie. Mix of prespawn, spawn, and post spawn. I hid from some storms, was not expecting hail. I jumped the dam and scanned most the southern lake as well.

Fummus
Fummus
Crappie!?? Did you say crappie?? Holy cats but those are good uns! You let em go or release to the grease? I been focusing on salt water and rock fish, but those are definitly some head turning slabs. Good deal :)

jamisonace
jamisonace
NKlamerus said:
This year they (the city? Through "friends of Ford's pond") plan on finishing the paved trail around the pond, putting bathrooms and a kids park up on the hill, with no plans to put any money into the pond itself.

Have you called them to express your concerns? They might listen if you tell them they are killing fish habitat by clearing the edges of brush.

Also, Fords Pond has been well known since I was a kid. I doubt it will ever be very popular with fishermen.

However......I'm interested in eating those crappie and I've never fished there before. These posts will probably draw more people than a boat ramp.

NKlamerus
NKlamerus
I have emailed the group twice, I have also met quite a few of the members when I'm loading/unloading

There's crappie in there but the city pumps treated sewage water in there, so eat with caution.

They had drain pipes running all day Saturday

Top Bottom