For my Salem/Keizer friends

18406ej
18406ej
The fishing at Wheatland Ferry and at San Salvador has been terrible, just terrible, Also, I think the fish being caught there are poison. I recommend that you all stay away from my, I mean these spots!

O
Outdoor_Myers
hey can I be added into your salem/keizer friend group since wheatland ferry is nearby even though I havent tried fishing there yet :p although you will prob fish the other side of the river and not my side :p thanks for the headsup I wonder how it would be down river at my other spot.

M
markasd
Whoa there.... there is nothing wrong with those fish man.. caught a few and they are far from poison. there is a lot of fish swimming through there - fish right below the ferry, roughly 200 yards. you'll see a few spots. only cast out like 15 ft, they are there.

mark

18406ej
18406ej
Outdoor_Myers said:
hey can I be added into your salem/keizer friend group since wheatland ferry is nearby even though I havent tried fishing there yet :p although you will prob fish the other side of the river and not my side :p thanks for the headsup I wonder how it would be down river at my other spot.

You are always welcome in our group. I will be happy to swim across to the other side to see you. Like markasd said, keep your range to only about 15 ft and you should do well.

18406ej
18406ej
markasd said:
Whoa there.... there is nothing wrong with those fish man.. caught a few and they are far from poison. there is a lot of fish swimming through there - fish right below the ferry, roughly 200 yards. you'll see a few spots. only cast out like 15 ft, they are there.

mark

Mark- just kidding-trying to keep our local holes vacant, you know? Are you from this area too?

O
Outdoor_Myers
we should all get together next week, I can make a day maybe pay to come to the other side Im not sure what to use I been fishing on this private rock beach down river just a bit check it out on google maps past this in get directions 45.200460, -123.024219

M
markasd
Ya know after reading your post again just now, I get it! kinda blew it for ya I guess huhn... sorry buddy. Yeah Im from the area - grew up about five minutes from Wheatland. I didn't start fishing salmon/steel until about 10 years ago, so I never really new what I had to work with just down the street! I get out there a few times a spring, and thats about it. I think by the time I'm done with work over here (HI), the waters gonna be full of algae and I dont deal with that too good. At that point the Nestucca is usually in full swing, as well as the Santiams!!

Good luck fellas -
mark

B
Bullitt
Algae is already there. I quit fishing last Saturday. I don't think to 2' rise in the level is going to matter much. I had a good season but started well before most. Good luck.

S
SgtFish
San Salvador?

San Salvador?

Where is san salvador? I have heard it mentioned a few times but have no clue where it is.

18406ej
18406ej
I had never heard of it until I checked out a book at the public library in Salem ("Fishing the Great Northwest"). The easiest way to get there is to go to the town of St. Paul, and turn West on blanchet road, which is right downtown near the metal fabrication shop. Follow the road for about 4-5 miles (even though it says "dead end") to the very end, and you are there. There are usually at least 5-10 plunkers there, but they are for the most part generous with the space.

What is this alagae that everyone is talking about? Is it that long, stringy moss? If so, it is terrlible at Wheatland...I had an awfull time plunking there yesterday as it was constantly fouling the line and spin-glo.

S
SantiamDrifter
18406ej said:
I had never heard of it until I checked out a book at the public library in Salem ("Fishing the Great Northwest"). The easiest way to get there is to go to the town of St. Paul, and turn West on blanchet road, which is right downtown near the metal fabrication shop. Follow the road for about 4-5 miles (even though it says "dead end") to the very end, and you are there. There are usually at least 5-10 plunkers there, but they are for the most part generous with the space.

What is this alagae that everyone is talking about? Is it that long, stringy moss? If so, it is terrlible at Wheatland...I had an awfull time plunking there yesterday as it was constantly fouling the line and spin-glo.

yup.

M
markasd
That is the stuff... pretty much shuts down plunkin' now... ya spend way too much time cleaning crap off your line. Time for the upper tribs....

mark

B
Bullitt
Not only does the moss plug your gear but it shuts the bite off. It never used to be an issue until maybe 12 years ago or so.

A word of advise about this fishery...if you are going to fish it, you need to start early. The counts at the falls don't matter, it only matter that there are fish in the system. If you wait for big numbers it will be too late. just my 2 cents...