Flying rainbows

S
SmallStreams
After Saturday's escapade with the Necanicum searun cutthroat, my fishing buddy and I headed into the wilderness, the Middle Santiam Wilderness. Much to my surprise, we were the only ones up there on Memorial Day, er, Labor Day weekend!

In the first large pool, I had a keeper throw the hook and still chase the lure, but he swam off when I ran out of retrieval space. Shades of Necanicum cutthroat here...

My buddy landed his first keeper shortly afterwards in the next pool above. While he was standing next to me on a Suburban-sized boulder taking out the hook, I was trying to get the pair of keepers out of the hole I was working.

First one I pulled out of the water to my right and he let go of the hook and fell into the river. OK, next keeper I'll haul out to the left just in case it lets go, too... two casts later, I'm pulling it out of the water and sure enough it lets go as I'm hoisting left. I quickly peer over the edge of the boulder and see it floating belly up (apparently after bouncing off a rock) and drifting downstream, , so my buddy scrambles around the boulder and as he's reaching for it, a mere handgrasp away, it rolls over, shakes a bit and swims away! :think: LOL, that's 3 keepers I've lost in a mere 15 minutes, darn it!

My skills do win out in the end and I caught a very nice 12" rainbow at the next pool plus one more keeper. In case you're not familiar with the Middle Santiam Wilderness, here is the video I made last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHsnuZ9i15c

Last edited by a moderator:
troutdude
troutdude
Ummm, you were there back in May? (Memorial Day)

I know what you meant, just had to rib ya.

Glad you finally got a couple.

T
Thuggin4Life
Sounds fun!

S
SmallStreams
troutdude said:
Ummm, you were there back in May? (Memorial Day)

I know what you meant, just had to rib ya.

Glad you finally got a couple.

Well... it was a memorable day. Having more senior moments is sure getting tough to live with, LOL.

troutdude
troutdude
I've had a few senior moments myself. No sweat man!