Flying kokanee...

C
Combat Chuck
are hazardous to your clean clothes!

I went camping at Odell with the family this weekend. 3 years ago we had a similar campout; that was my first time at Odell and my first time kokanee fishing. We had a few fish each on that trip but I really wanted to beat that now that I was returning with my boat and some experience. Saturday morning was one of those days that make you want to stay inside with coffee and a fire... so we did just that at first. Got on the water around 7:30 with some heavy mist. Got some fish right away, so that made it all better. We stayed near the cove so we could quickly get back for breakfast. Hour and a half- 9 fish trolling.

Hit it again in the afternoon after the rain had gone. My mother in law was the only willing passenger so it was blast to find them biting in the afternoon. 2 hours - 14 fish.

Not much excitement at camp, so we killed an hour before dinner. 8 more in the box

Saturday ended with some nice weather.

Sunday morning started great at about 5:30. Had I known the bite was on it would have been sooner! I let out 25' of line to clip in the downrigger then turned to do the same to another. Got the second rod clipped in and noticed the first reel screaming. Left #2 and brought in the fish while my passenger was landing one off a 'true' longline. Swung the fish in to notice a fish had pulled free of the downrgger ball that was still on the surface! This lasted a few more minutes but shifted to deep fishing after that. Ended with 21 for 3 hours but we only landed one in the last hour.

Most fish came off downriggers at many different depths. Sling blades and hoochies were best with no colors being better than the others. Sounds like it was a tough bite for most boats, but I was happy with our success. All fish came within site of camp ;) an added bonus. Big fish was 14", small was ... well... 4".
This is how I spent quite a bit of time this weekend...

The video camera went down this weekend, so no videos. It seems to have recovered so next report will include the video!

Reactions: OnTheFly
L
lilsalmon
:dance::clap:

T
Throbbit _Shane
Good job Chuck!!

Looks like you got koke fishing down at multiple lakes now! :D

J
jabs67
Well done!!! :clap:

C
cowboysfan
nice job! sounds like you got a pretty good amount of fine quality koke meat.