Fly tying and patterns sharing thread

B
bigboy70
Ok guess they seem really similar

B
bigboy70
Nicely done sir season coming! Winters,springers, summers and trout in between whoo

brandon4455
brandon4455
A few select trout streams open before may.... gotta get some big hopper dropper stonefly dries ready. This one will float a #12 nymph with a tungsten beadhead, but when the fish come up for the dry they seem to have trouble fitting the fly in their mouth :lol: still works, though. posted it on ifish for the fly tying contest last year, this ones always in my trout box now.I made the one pictured with makeshift materials, got better colors and legs now..ill post a fresh pic when i return from the east side of the state

• 561312_482950648441342_1565428457_n.jpg
R
Rusty Stern
Here are some size 14 PMD tied on Klinkhammer hooks.

ahupumer.jpg

R
Rusty Stern
Purple Haze Klinkhammers in size 14.

busagyqy.jpg

J
jimmy
Over a year since a pattern?!? Gotta fix that....

easy little fly with a couple little tying tricks:

Simple Green Stonefly, no rib, no hackle. Just a nice profile meant to tumble through turbulence like the real ones do.

Size 6 long nymph hook, bead, biots, peacock hurl, and rubber legs.

(sorry about the focus, this is what it looks like when I tie without glasses. I'm sure you can figure out what I'm doing)

pop a bead on the hook, slide it back to the bend. Tie on two turkey biots for antennae/legs, tie off thread, slide bead back over the thread:

sg1_zpsfbmtykak.jpg

add two more biots for the split tail, and a few wraps of lead wire to weight, wrap with thread to even out the profile:

sg2_zps7h0udfqc.jpg

start at tail adding pecock hurl twisted to chenille, about half way up stop and add a couple rubber legs, continue with peacock dividing legs with the wraps for a natural spacing:

sg3_zpsoppysl9g.jpg

when you get to the neck slide on a small piece of split drinking straw to get those legs out of your way and add two more biots (prince nymph style) for a simple shell back:

sg4_zps9xnqz7ow.jpg

whip finish. Keep profile and leg spacing in mind when wrapping the peacock, that's the whole jist of the nymph.

finished:

simple%20green%20stonefly_zpszqdxgimz.jpg

~Jimmy~

B
bigboy70
Oh man I dig it

P
playhooky
Nice Stone....thanks for the tying tutorial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

P
playhooky
brandon4455 said:
A few select trout streams open before may.... gotta get some big hopper dropper stonefly dries ready. This one will float a #12 nymph with a tungsten beadhead, but when the fish come up for the dry they seem to have trouble fitting the fly in their mouth :lol: still works, though. posted it on ifish for the fly tying contest last year, this ones always in my trout box now.I made the one pictured with makeshift materials, got better colors and legs now..ill post a fresh pic when i return from the east side of the state

Nice bug Brandon. I'm always looking for new patterns that will stay on top for my indicator. I'd rather fish an indicator with a hook in it than yarn or a thingamabobber. I've been adding to my boxes also. Cheers!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428939062.537294.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1428939091.660614.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1428939103.162332.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1428939146.833326.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

B
BlueSkye
Very cool work bigsteel!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
GungasUncle said:
Been playing more with dubbing loops. Created some interesting bugger variants that I dub the "Hairy Bugger"

They use deer hair spun up in a dubbing loop to form the collar, instead of using a hackle feather. I also substitute Ice Dub for the body vs chenille.

Copyright notice is a year off - here it is the 11th and I keep forgetting to "fix" my dates on my photo editor. Doh.

nice buggers.

P
playhooky
Those look excellent! Nice work.

S
Stonefish
Some Bunny Surf Smelt patterns that have been producing well for me lately.
SF

79B4C1D8-6DBE-44D0-925F-DD2895AACA0A_zpswwahpnfo.jpg

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Here's one more fly pattern - it's super simple, I came up with it to imitate a soft plastic Fluke type soft jerk bait. It's rabbit strip, with a dubbed body on the shank, tied on an EWG style worm hook:

AkIwUUP.jpg

rITWPOb.jpg

First time I fished it - I found out that Trout like them too:

ZnQlWaW.jpg

Irishrover
Irishrover
Looks like you have been on a fly tying terror. Great looking flies!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
You have no Idea, Lon. I've been in the process of organizing/reorganizing - and adding to the mess. Just in *bass* flies I have 8 Plano 3500 size boxes, plus a couple normal fly boxes of streamers and bass flies, and they spill into other boxes yet. And of course I have half a dozen or so trout boxes, a box of panfish poppers & flies... my 5 year old son has two of his own fly boxes (which have flies I tied, some he tied, and some store bought) - as I weed through these, some are getting cut up and materials reused, others are going into a big pile to give away or sell (or both)

My passions have shifted away from dry fly trout fishing to chucking junk for bass and trout. I've got a Plano 3700 full of dry flies that currently have no other home in my boxes - most are size 16 and smaller, and my eyes just don't see that great anymore without glasses, and I don't like fishing light tippets for anything bigger than bluegill anymore. I sold my 2 weight - the lightest rod I own right now is a 4.

I'm trying to move a Loomis 8 weight to make room in the stable, with plans to replace it with a TFO Mini Mag (much better swing weight for overhead casting = less tiring) for chucking big junk at bass and maybe some saltwater stuff. There's also Muskie to target up in Merwin this year. I got to cast the Mini Mag at the Sportsman's show and fell in love. It's exactly what I'm looking for - I was thinking about ordering a custom 7'6" or 8 foot blank from CTS - but the Mini Mag does exactly what I want, and the complete rod is half the money of the CTS blank by itself, so the cash from the sale of the Loomis will be enough to get the Mini Mag rod and a Rio Leviathan line to match up with it, and maybe an OPST or Rio Outbound Short shooting head for the spare spool.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
2vRuzWT.jpg

NCxMr7N.jpg

mhOsGwv.jpg

6Jq3dW5.jpg

Reactions: markasd and TheKnigit
Chromatose
Chromatose
Are the last two Tubes with Cone Heads?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Chromatose;n610026 said:
Are the last two Tubes with Cone Heads?

Nope - they a twist on Kelly Galloup's Sex Dungeon - instead of the stacked deer hair head, I decided to do a stacked Laser Dub head. There's two hooks hidden in there - a size 4 and a size 2 Gamakatsu B10S. They are hard to see, but there's small brass eyes hidden in there too, to give the fly a subtle jiggy action.

I got a killer deal on a rod I've been hunting for for over a year at the Sportman's Show - the TFO Mini Mag, which was actually discontinued by TFO last year. The TFO rep had his closeout rods at River City's booth - and Don made me an offer I couldn't refuse (lol) - I *had* to bring the Mini Mag home. He had two to choose from, I snagged the "8-10" which is actually rated for 300 to 400 grain lines (if you go by grains, thats 10 to 12 weight) like a Rio Outbound.

I test cast the rods with the lines that I have (heaviest normal non-skagit head) - in this case a variety of 8 weight lines - Rio Gold, Sage Freshwater, a Cabela's WF8 intermediate, and a Rio Leviathan 250 grain full sinker. I was duely impressed by how well the new stick throws line, and when I get a more appropriate (350-400 grain) line, I'm confident that the hugest flies I have (like my 11 inch trout imitation) will sail out.

I did have one booboo test casting - I had a fairly heavy jig style worm fly (point cut off, thank god) to see how the rod handled heavy stuff. I was going for broke, as I'd hit my backing knot on a few casts with a bit lighter fly. A combination of a sudden wind gust during my back cast, and a extra oopmh haul, and I wound up smacking myself in the left ear with said fly, which broke skin, but had so much force on the impact that it snapped 15lb flourocarbon tippet, caused the fly to continue sailing about 30 feet out into the pond, and the line on my neck and head felt like I'd been bull whipped. But, with that 250 grain line, I was throwing a 5 inch rabbit strip worm fly (moderately weighted with 20 or so lead wraps) 100 feet. I was damn impressed and felt like Lefty Kreh for a few casts.

I've got a few more flies I've tied up this week I will be posting pix of soon.

hobster
hobster
Nice work Uncle G! Those are some well tied, great looking flies.