Fly tying and fishing

T
the salmon kid
i recently got my own beginners fly tying kit and i will be tying my own flys from now on,

Ive caught many salmon and steel head on store bought flys but it is getting expensive so
do you guys have any suggestions for what to tie and what materials are needed.
Ive seen some really cool custom flys and i was wondering what they are and how to tie them ,,., if you can,,,., would you please post a picture of the flys that work so that i can figure out how they are tied ,. i know how to tie ugly bug's and some of the basic flys but i am looking for something new
if you post a picture i could have some idea of what my flys should look like
thanks

the salmon kid

T
Thuggin4Life
i think there is some info in the archives.

T
the salmon kid
what archives?

T
Thuggin4Life
the "archives" referes to the older post on the forum. you can browse back to way older post just by digging around in the section you are trying to research. we lost all the photos awhile back to to some techinacal computer stuff i don't understand but all the words are still there. also you can try the search function.

B
bigsteel
what species of fish?

S
steelhead_slayer
i like peacock stones. you got me curious. what flies are you catching salmon on if you don't mind

T
the salmon kid
i am fishing for Chinook ,coho and steel head and for salmon i was using a blue, pink or a chartreuse comet that a buddy of mine tied and gave to me. i didn't believe him that it worked for salmon, because they don't usually eat when the come up,,so he gave me one and said see for your self,., i tried it and got 14 Chinook salmon in one day and 2 steel head
Im just casting as far as i can and stripping the line 4-6in every couple seconds and they actually hit it! and Ive even had them chase it in i dont know if they are hitting it on hunger or aggression but what ever they are doing they are hitting it hard

• commet.jpg
  • coallmet.jpg
  • img_9113a.jpg
  • blue.jpg
Last edited:
T
the salmon kid
i can probable tie one of those it looks like a jig and it has a small trailer hook for short strikes and is probably made from black marabou and some died purple deer hair with tungsten eyes i will tie some up
and is there 2 hooks or just one

B
bigsteel
just one hook,,,tie your fly to just a bare shank and run a trailer hook connected with dacron or heavy mono

T
the salmon kid
sounds like an excellent idea the trailer hook is hidden by the fibers and makes it a better presentation to the fish

S
steelhead_slayer
the salmon kid said:
i am fishing for Chinook ,coho and steel head and for salmon i was using a blue, pink or a chartreuse comet that a buddy of mine tied and gave to me. i didn't believe him that it worked for salmon, because they don't usually eat when the come up,,so he gave me one and said see for your self,., i tried it and got 14 Chinook salmon in one day and 2 steel head
Im just casting as far as i can and stripping the line 4-6in every couple seconds and they actually hit it! and Ive even had them chase it in i dont know if they are hitting it on hunger or aggression but what ever they are doing they are hitting it hard
wow! thanks for the info

T
the salmon kid
no prob man Im just giving and getting advice and trying to learn new methods of fishing