Fly rod/reel question

A
alm21
I'm excited to say that I've come into some equipment that I get to use for a while. Not being a fly fisherman, I'm wondering what the best application is for the following equipment (trout, steelhead, small water, etc):

Lamiglass IM907 9ft 7wt rod. I don't have a reel for it so wondering what size is appropriate

Fisher GT40 8' 6", 4/5wt with a Orvis Rocky Mountain 5/6 reel. I presume this is ideal for trout.

Thanks in advance

V
Van
The Lamiglass would be a good summer steelhead rod. The Orvis is a good trout rod but since it is a combo weight 4/5 it would be a bit light for say fishing someplace where you are going to be catching big broad shouldered trout, like the Deschutes. It would be good for smaller rivers, mountain lakes or ponds. At least that would be my take on the two rods. Enjoy them.

A
alm21
Van said:
The Lamiglass would be a good summer steelhead rod. The Orvis is a good trout rod but since it is a combo weight 4/5 it would be a bit light for say fishing someplace where you are going to be catching big broad shouldered trout, like the Deschutes. It would be good for smaller rivers, mountain lakes or ponds. At least that would be my take on the two rods. Enjoy them.

Ok, that's very helpful, thanks! BTW, props on the Dead Guy! A personal favorite.

M
metalfisher76
"Lamiglass IM907 9ft 7wt rod. I don't have a reel for it so wondering what size is appropriate"

Doesn`t really matter.... But as a rule most match the reel wt. to the rods. Each manufacturer is different but it will have a 7 somewhere in the serial #. My Pflueger President, for instance, is a 2090. A 9/10 wt. The 2007 would be yours. "They`re just a glorified line winder" is one of the best responses I`ve heard for the question:)

A
alm21
metalfisher76 said:
"Lamiglass IM907 9ft 7wt rod. I don't have a reel for it so wondering what size is appropriate"

Doesn`t really matter.... But as a rule most match the reel wt. to the rods. Each manufacturer is different but it will have a 7 somewhere in the serial #. My Pflueger President, for instance, is a 2090. A 9/10 wt. The 2007 would be yours. "They`re just a glorified line winder" is one of the best responses I`ve heard for the question:)

You have a pretty beefy setup. Something I would like to put together eventually for the fighters. Is it a big deal to have a larger reel on a lighter rod? Since I don't expect to have the 7wt indefinitely, I would prefer to invest in a reel that could go on a heavier rod.

Y
youngbuck307
metalfisher76 said:

his dad has been fishing a 7wt all season... He is lil under armed with anything to much over 10 anything over 15 would be a blast!!!! Love fishing light.. Haven't fly fished much yet but my drift rod is 9ft 6-10lb... So u could use it for winters just know if u get a big one he is going to make u work for it!

Ps why a 7wt because some guy lost the tip of his 9wt in the creek.... Lol sorry had to