Fly reel

T
TTFishon
I want to get a new fly reel for my pole. Nothing too fancy just something for around 50 to 60 bucks. I'm probably going to go to Dick's to see what they have unless someone here has a better suggestion for me. I want a reel that will be good for trout and bass and will be a good balance for my rod which is a 1980's Fenwick Eagle Graphite E85-6F 8'6" #6 Line. Does anyone have any suggestions on a specific brand and size?

E
everett464
In my mind, the Bass Pro Shop's "Hobbs Creek," is the absolute best value on the market. It is a disc drag, all metal, large arbor, and handsome reel. You could even put backing and line on it, and still be close to your budget.

That said, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the Redington Surge reel. you will pay a little more, but it is a bad-ass reel, with a disc-drag that is as good as much more expensive reels that I have used.

(I linked to the Caddis Fly here, but rumor has it that you may be able to find it for less dough on other sites)

T
TTFishon
Cool! Thanks for the links!

E
everett464
yeah, no sweat.

One more. If you really want to find something local and inexpensive, I believe Dick's carries Okuma reels. Their SVL reel gets some play in the budget equipment discussions as relatively reliable. I have never used it, but have heard good things.

T
TTFishon
Maybe I'll make a trip to Dick's soon and see what they got.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I don't like to spend too much money on reels. For years I've stuck with pflueger medalist. I have one on each of my rods except my spey rod. There I did spend some money. But for trout I realy like the pflueger and the extra spools are inexspensive also. Just an option;)

Last edited:
E
everett464
Pflueger Medalist FTW!!!!!

I have a "Pimped" Medalist that I put together with parts off of One-Pfoot.

I really do love that reel, but I have a hard time going back to the click and pawl on rivers where I think I may get into a toad. Disc drag is nice.