Fly reel question

R
rainbowfisherman
So today I bought a 3wt Fly rod, finally. I thought I picked out a 40 dollar real but through all the excitement, I picked up the 99$ one. So my question is, should I return the expensive fly reel and get the cheaper one? I plan to get another spool to put floating line on it so that will set me back another 50 bucks, but what do you guys think?

M
metalfisher76
I would. You`ll have the extra spool for the same money, sounds like? You can get a more expensive one at another time with your 4,5,6,7,8,9 or 10 wt rod:D

R
rainbowfisherman
Thats what I was thinking. It is a great reel, but with it being a 3wt and me using it for trout, I will only be using it to reel in slack line.

H
halibuthitman
$99 isn't that expensive of a reel.. but you could get a medalist and 4 spare spools for that kind of money.. and they are good reels. sometimes I wonder if Im the only guy in the world who doesn't think a reel is just a line holder... buy a cheap reel and wait until it breaks and turns into a centerpin while your trying to pull line for a cast... its not annoying at all

B
BobbiDollPDX
halibuthitman said:
$99 isn't that expensive of a reel.. but you could get a medalist and 4 spare spools for that kind of money.. and they are good reels. sometimes I wonder if Im the only guy in the world who doesn't think a reel is just a line holder... buy a cheap reel and wait until it breaks and turns into a centerpin while your trying to pull line for a cast... its not annoying at all

A customer of mine in Molalla designs and manufactures fly reels that range from $700 to $2,500. Can you imagine spending that much? It boggles my mind.

C
ChezJfrey
BobbiDollPDX said:
A customer of mine in Molalla designs and manufactures fly reels that range from $700 to $2,500. Can you imagine spending that much? It boggles my mind.

LOL...nice! Then I guess all you have to do is pair that with a $3,500 Thomas & Thomas bamboo rod and you're set!

O
OnTheFly
The main thing to consider when buying a reel is to make sure it has a drag system that can completely let loose of the line when the setting is backed off to the max. Pfluegers have a problem with this. The reel must be able to turn without any kind of resistance especially on a 3wt. Trout hit and run and with the diameter tippit you will be using on that rod, it could easily snap off. I use a Pflueger Medalist on my 8wt.

H
halibuthitman
I actually use the pflueger Trion on my 6... it was $75 bucks and I have put it through hell in the last 3 years, still ticking.. no $40 reel other than a medalist would have survived the treks.

G
GDBrown
Reels for 3wt? Buy low float high!

Reels for 3wt? Buy low float high!

I have used a Pfluegers Medalist on my 4wt for 20 years and never had a problem with it. If I have lost fish because of snapping the tippet it is because of my inability to control the line while getting it onto the reel. Fumble fingers ya know what I mean. Besides most of the time a fish caught on a 3 or 4wt rod will be small enough that having a great drag system will be irrelevant. Buy a cheap reel and spend the money on a good floating line.

Just my two cents worth.

GD

O
OnTheFly
Put a Pflueger next to a Ross and you'll know what mean.

H
halibuthitman
:lol:eek:h yeah.. put a ross next to an Abel and you will see what I mean!!:lol::rolleyes: its pretty obvious I don't have any friends huh?

M
Markcanby
I have a Trion on my 8wt I loved the thing tell I went to get a spare spool. FYI they have went up to 99$ for a reel an 65$ for a spool. I mean I love the thing but thats almost 2/3 of what I paid for teh reel.

O
OnTheFly
halibuthitman said:
:lol:eek:h yeah.. put a ross next to an Abel and you will see what I mean!!:lol::rolleyes: its pretty obvious I don't have any friends huh?
You got lots of friends. Abel? They've got potential.:D

Last edited:
M
Markcanby
Im getting a Kamikaze for my 6wt. I havent bought anything from Aus. that I havent liked.

G
GDBrown
So, what's more important.... A reel that is bullet proof and will last forever or Line that you don't have to replace every year? I spend less on reels so I can spend less on lines.... in the long run.

GD

M
metalfisher76
Medalists are bad ass MO `FO`S! In 15 years mine landed GOBS of BIG fish. For a 3 wt, it`s more than ya need as far as drag goes.
ZIGZAG020.jpg
I`d still be using mine but it got caught up in the door of my car 1 drunken night:(;)Wish it would`ve been the rod, lami is very good to me. I did step up to the President and for big fish I won`t go back. The large arbor is nooooyce! The drag is beastly.
Here`s a shot of a medalist and a president which were both worked that day. $40 or $140, it`s your choice.
6242010alex008.jpg