fly questions

F
flytrekker1007
So i realize nymphs and emergers are wet flies, so does this mean that the adult form falls under the dry fly category?

O
OnTheFly
flytrekker1007 said:
So i realize nymphs and emergers are wet flies, so does this mean that the adult form falls under the dry fly category?
Yipper's!!! Like a spinner fall! And don't forget about Duns. A Dun becomes the mature adult fly the moment it leaves the water.

F
flytrekker1007
great, thanks

F
flytrekker1007
so i just opened my box and noticed quite a few of my flies have rust on them. nood move, i forgot to open the case after my last trip. are the flies still good?

Reactions: Markcanby
G
GDBrown
OnTheFly said:
Yipper's!!! Like a spinner fall! And don't forget about Duns. A Dun becomes the mature adult fly the moment it leaves the water.

So does that mean they are DUN at liftOFF? What are they when they emerge and get stuck?

Reactions: Markcanby
O
OnTheFly
GDBrown said:
So does that mean they are DUN at liftOFF? What are they when they emerge and get stuck?
Exactly! That's when a dun is done and an emerger is shucked.

M
Markcanby
GDBrown said:

Fish Food.

G
GDBrown
Marks got it right. They are usually considered a cripple and get eaten real fast. My mentor back in Montana used to clip his dry flies to look crippled and out fished every one around.

F
flytrekker1007
gdbrown explain this clipping technique. sounds interesting.

J
jimmy
to 'cripple' a fly I trim all the hackle off the bottom ( belly side ) of the fly and trim the tail down to 3-4 barbs, so it rides in the water more like a parachute version, so the body of the fly is stuck in the film of the water, somewhat submerged. The other technique I've used is to only grease the wing so the butt end of the fly rides low in the water. I've found these work best in slower water and foam lines.

that's my version anyways. . .