Fly prices?

F
flyguy
I have a question for any of you fly price experts out there. I worked for a company in the jewelry industry for several years. They import stuff from countries all over the world. I have recently met several contacts overseas offering amazing deals on bulk fly orders. I have used the samples they gave me and the quality is AMAZING! I can get them here cheap because we already do business in those countries.

My question is: What is a good price for a standard fly...such as an Adams Parachute, Copper John, or a BH Prince?

I have been fishing for years and paying 1.50 to 2.00 for flies of the same quality at fly shops. What do people expect to pay for flies these days? I'm just wondering if buying a bunch of these would be worth my while? Maybe selling them on Ebay or something?

G
GDBrown
Welcome to the Forum!

That's a nice looking fly, where are they tied? We have several members who tie their own, I have in the past and want to again, SOON.
I have seen them online for as little as $0.75 each or as much as $2.50 for the same fly!
If you are going to sell online you will need a lot of flies in a wide variety to make the effort worth while. JMO

GD

F
flyguy
Thanks for the welcome!

They are tied overseas :) ...there are actually several sources in several countries. I was thinking about selling flies like the Royal Stimulator shown above for $0.65 each. Do you think they would sell?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Nice stimulator. Folks can tie flies for about 15 cent a piece. Tying your own is a lot of fun and catching fish on flies you have tied is even better. Selling flies on the internet seems like work to me. Heck just go fishing instead;)

G
Growbug
Find out that the minimum order you, as the importer, can do per fly pattern.
Then find out how many people on here would be willing to pay say $10 for a pack of 12 of a specific pattern. If you could mount them say 4 of each size (example 16, 14, 12 or 14, 12, 10) on a card or foam.
From where i run to get flys, 10 for 12 would be a great deal. Thats 83c each, actually higher than your estimate of 65c each.
IF they are as good as you say, i think you would make some sales!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum flyguy. We are all enthusiasts when it comes to most any form of fishing gear. I am sure you know you cannot sell any item until you meet the ten post requirement,so I will simply watch to see no attempt at selling occurs here. No offense meant,we just have to ask everyone follow the rules. Again,welcome to the forum.

F
flyguy
Do people usually buy flies by the dozen? or do people want to be able to mix and match patterns, colors, and sizes? Would 12 flies of 12 different patterns for 10$ be more desirable than 12 of the same pattern for 10$?

F
flyguy
I understand completely...I am not trying to sell here. Just asking the experts!

G
Growbug
my thoughts were that when i go to buy / restock my flys (flies?) i look and think, ok, what size. I then get a handful of that size and pattern and a handful of one larger / one smaller size.
The way i go through flies at the moment, stocking like this keeps me in good supply.

yes, there have been many times when i have gone out and just said, some of them, and some of them, oh, and some of them, maybe one or two of them, look shiny...

EDIT-

Flies are like candy, you can't walk past a display without grabbing some, and you can't stop at just one.

G
Growbug
flyguy said:
Would 12 flies of 12 different patterns for 10$ be more desirable than 12 of the same pattern for 10$?
so.. both

F
flyguy
I know exactly what you mean. I usually go a bit fly crazy when I visit fly shops. Thanks for the advice.

G
Growbug
I think that fly fishing, as a pastime, may be the only one where you can quickly pop into a store for a nice bugger without arousing too much bad interest.

M
Markcanby
I have started buying my flies online US made for $5 to $10 a dozen. I get them by the dozen but would it if I could get them in 2 sizes say 6 16s an 6 18s

B
bigsteel
i tie my own flies,,,but ive bought a few here and there,,,,if theyre handtied by a good tyer ill pay a couple bucks,,,but i can tie them for pennies compared to buying them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,selling them by the dozen is a great idea,,,cause most people stock up for their fishing season with the standards,,,,,,adams,,,bwo,,drakes,elk hair caddis and so forth.........

F
flyguy
Thanks for all the great advice. Any suggestions for fly fishing rivers (or creeks) in the Hermiston Oregon area?

F
flyguy
Wow! you live 2.3 miles east of Grave Creek Bridge? I never saw a house there!

T
troutramp
I have been in the fly fishing industry for a few years. The shops I worked for sold "premium" imported flies imported by some of the better known fly companies for about 1.99 a piece average price. Some of the local hand tied flies went for about the same price but up to 5.95 for bass and salt water flies. Sounds like there are already a bunch of ebayers selling flies online for cheap. The question i would ask myself if I were contemplating this business proposition is are the flies really quality? What constitutes a quality fly? and can I get set up to handle the orders and shipping? The last shop I worked for the owner tied flies and made commercially his own fly tying materials. We shipped those materials and flies through out the US and Canada. We had software on our computer to print UPS labels and they billed us on an interactive account. Also keep in mind that there is a tariff on fly fishing /sporting goods equipment imported into the United States and it does include flies. I have had some experience with some of these imported flies some were good some were a waste of my money.

E
everett464
Flies are expensive. If people are able to sell flies for less than a dollar apiece. Someone, somewhere along the line is not getting paid for the time they spent to tie the fly.

That fly posted in the picture has several tie off points, a stacked tail, a stacked wing, 2 separate palmered hackles, and three colors of dubbing. The best tier is going to spend ten minutes to make it decent. Subtract a markup and material. How much is the worker making an hour? Pennies

Now, if that underpaid person is the person selling the flies out of the goodness of his heart, or love of the sport/hobby: hey, his or her loss. But most of these imported flies are not being sold by the people tying them.

F
flyguy
good point. thanks

G
ghostcow
I have dealt with two internet companies who sell just Flys and they run 59 - 69 cents each and appear to be good quality, fast shipping and got them in about 4 days. it has got to be a tough business especially to compete with internet companies. Best of luck.