FLy patterns for spring and summer time in central oregon

S
spmpdr
Hey guys spring is just around the corner and summer no to far off so i wanted to find out some good patterns for some rivers i plan on fishing this summer. So far i have planned trips on the crooked, deschutes , metolious and mackenzie also hopefully the fall and zig zag rivers. Could you gents be kind enough to recommend some patterns that have been succesfull on these waters!!!:D ( i can't wait to hit the metolious , i hiked there last year and it is beautiful)

F
FishFiddle
That is a wide spectrum. Trout or Steelhead? The Caddis Fly shop in Eugene has a nice web site with a nice Mckenzie collection and I think Steelhead as well. I would not be without Prince Nymph, Peasant tail, lots of caddis and Stone fly, some soft hackles, and emergers. For Steelhead;Green But Skunk, Brads Brat, Purple Peril, and the list goes on........Good Luck! You have some great water to explore.

M
Markcanby
BWO an large Orange Scuds for the Crooked.

E
everett464
I would keep size 8 Mega Princes and Possie Buggers, size 18 or 16 BH Princes and Hare's ears, and size 14 EHCs and Adams.

6 Flies to rule them all.

Last edited:
S
spmpdr
FishFiddle said:
That is a wide spectrum. Trout or Steelhead? The Caddis Fly shop in Eugene has a nice web site with a nice Mckenzie collection and I think Steelhead as well. I would not be without Prince Nymph, Peasant tail, lots of caddis and Stone fly, some soft hackles, and emergers. For Steelhead;Green But Skunk, Brads Brat, Purple Peril, and the list goes on........Good Luck! You have some great water to explore.

Sorry man , i should of specified more . I looking for only trout flies and nymphs. Ill check out the web site you suggested for the mackenzie and thanks everyone so far for the input

S
steelhead1
mitch at two rivers fly shop ties a nymph for the Metolius,I believe it called a hares ear 100,that has been deadly for me.

S
spmpdr
steelhead1 said:
mitch at two rivers fly shop ties a nymph for the Metolius,I believe it called a hares ear 100,that has been deadly for me.

Can you tell me where two rivers fly shop is located please?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Going to stick with my pat answers...

#1 - black & olive woolly buggers - sizes 10, 8, and 6
#2 - black & olive micro buggers - size 14 or 12
#3 - Adams from size 16 to size 10
#4 - Humpy in Yellow, Royal, and Adams colorations, sizes 10 and 12
#5 - Hares Ear soft hackle with or without a bead head
#6 - Bivisible
#7 - Zug Bug or Prince nymph, sizes 16 to 10
#8 - Black and red ant patterns - sizes 14 to 10
#9 - Pick your favorite hopper pattern
#10 - Royal Wulff in 14 to 10

I'd either start off by swimming the woolly bugger, or star with a dry & dropper setup depending on my mood, and what he water looked like. With the bugger - you can dead drift it - but I prefer to swing it until the line is directly downstream of me, then retrieve it with short pulls, letting it drift back down in the current a little before picking up and recasting if I'm just probing water, instead of targeting a specific fish in a specific spot. Fish it tight to the bank this way too - amazing how fish will follow this fly and whack it right at the very end of the drift.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Getting specific here for you.....at lower bridge in the spring which is coming up soon you'll find a March Brown feast. For nymphs try a pheasant tail, march brown nymph, goldribbed hares ear,& prince nymph. Mid water go with a March Brown emerger. On top go with a March brown with an emerger as a dropper.

S
spmpdr
Thanks for the knowledge everyone!!! I will be stocking up on these patterns . I can't wait to get back out on the water . I just biught a house and thats been takin.g up all my spare time.

V
Van
No one has mentioned a salmonfly type fly for the Dechutes yet, im surprised.

H
halibuthitman
congrats on your new home.. Its nice to hear folks getting homes... not losing them:)

J
jimmy
Van said:
No one has mentioned a salmonfly type fly for the Dechutes yet, im surprised.

salmon/stonefly check,

call em what you want : stones, stimulators, hoppers. . . I like em high floating and sized to the naturals. . . from #8 to #4. . .

stonefly:
flynstone.jpg

salmonfly ( a touch bigger and bulkier ):
DSC01123.jpg

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
jimmy said:
salmon/stonefly check,

call em what you want : stones, stimulators, hoppers. . . I like em high floating and sized to the naturals. . . from #8 to #4. . .

stonefly:
flynstone.jpg

salmonfly ( a touch bigger and bulkier ):
DSC01123.jpg

That stonefly is totally trying to get it on with your artificial. Bet he was sorely disappointed (or, maybe not?)

J
jimmy
GungasUncle said:
That stonefly is totally trying to get it on with your artificial. Bet he was sorely disappointed (or, maybe not?)

nah. . . . I let him finish, I'll keep lookin for those photos of "fishmouth full of elk hair". . .

I also tie those in dark-wing-no-tail:

stonedflie.jpg

Last edited: