Fly outfit help..again

brandon4455
brandon4455
need some opinions on this outfit,, i'm almost possitive it's what im getting next month but i want to know if im making a good choice or not.it's going to be manly for trout in small to medium size rivers and creeks, remember limited budget so please don't suggest anything over 70$ ... thanks
Cabela's: Cabela's Cahill Fly Rod and Reel Outfit

brandon

Last edited:
C
colbypearson
thats funny i was on cabelas and looked at the same one last night, i only need a reel though i am interested to see peoples replies to this one.

Troutski
Troutski
Cabelas - Quality...

Cabelas - Quality...

What weight rod you thinking ?

Chuck

brandon4455
brandon4455
Troutski said:
What weight rod you thinking ?

Chuck
im looking at the 5wt

O
OnTheFly
Hey Brandon, if your budget supports it then get it. It looks like something good for you to start out with. Oh..and yeah...get the 5wt!

brandon4455
brandon4455
OnTheFly said:
Hey Brandon, if your budget supports it then get it. It looks like something good for you to start out with. Oh..and yeah...get the 5wt!

will do jim, thanks for the input ill be putting it to the test with mr cutthroat and the fly in my avatar ;)

F
FishFinger
Yeah , I agree looks like a fine combo to get you started. A 5wt is perfect it won't out class a modest to large trout and for steelhead the fight could be epic.

You best be thinking about your future plans, stay in school, get educated. If your going to become a fly fisherman you'll need a good career to support your habit!

Troutski
Troutski
Great investment to say the least...go for it and take your camera with you...
Good luck

Chuck

brandon4455
brandon4455
Troutski said:
Great investment to say the least...go for it and take your camera with you...
Good luck

Chuck

i will for sure bring a camera,, im excited to land my first fish on the fly . thanks chuck

brandon

Troutski
Troutski
brandon4455 said:
i will for sure bring a camera,, im excited to land my first fish on the fly . thanks chuck

brandon

I totally envy you....something about the first fish on a fly.
Have a great time.

Chuck

D
Drew9870
I wouldn't buy anything that is cabelas brand, maybe waders, they are nothing but a knock off brand,,, so many products to make so they have to use cheap material so they can afford to keep it in stock, anyone who doesn't agree with this are usually the ones who would never believe in quality gear that lasts. I wouldn't say it's the worst choice you could make, I mean buying a packaged combo would be the worst choice.

W.W. Grigg, if you could get a ride out to Canby, you can get a sweet 5-6wt for $30 right from the factory, you just need a reel, which he also has (I hate his fly reels honestly, lol) for probably under $15, but your better off finding a reel made by Pflueger or a well known company besides Cabelas, the action is super sweet on these rods, and perfect for casting all the way to your backing. Even when you feel you have mastered fly fishing and need top quality gear, you will be proud you still have your Grigg.

Just don't buy Cabelas gear, it usually always fits the budget, but it is so poorly crafted.

Last edited:
M
Markcanby
Im going with Drew on this one. If you can get up to Canby you will have a much better rod an able to find a better reel later.

F
FishFinger
I retract my previous post and side with these guys, if you can find a better quality rod for less, you should consider it

C
colbypearson
i would avoid bass pro shops and cabelas personally as well its like ordering your gear from mc'donalds seems like theres always something e'ffed up especially with BPS

B
beaverfan
I also recommend Griggs, they got some killer stuff!

D
Drew9870
You'll wish you had no less than $200 when you walk into Griggs, they have a variety of rods from ice fishing ultra lights to Sturgeon rods and fly rods of course, the ice rods were prototypes so I am not sure they have them anymore, you can find nice Salmon rods for about $45, last time I was there he had a deal on three Salmon rods for $100.

brandon4455
brandon4455
well, i dont have to buy anything till jan, so ill take a look into the griggs rods thanks everyone. thats very cheap for a rod. and ill be able to nab a decent reel because the rod is cheap. as for a salmon rod, if i didn't have my beautiful lamiglas id be on those in a heartbeat

brandon

M
Markcanby
You will really like the Grigg fly rods. If he has one I would recommend a 4wt. since you fish the little creek there by your house. I use mine on the Molalla an cast 40' easy.

S
skunk
Go with Grigg for the rod. Ollie Damon has reel/rod setups right at $100 and they are Grigg. That cabelas rod may do ok but I've checked the reel and its not going to hold up. I use just an Argus Flight III reel for my trout setup and it has lasted 6+ yrs with no issues. That and a pfleuger medalist are both inexpensive reels, and have cheap spools. I get my sale items at Ollie Damons in portland. They usually have good deals on reels.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Markcanby said:
You will really like the Grigg fly rods. If he has one I would recommend a 4wt. since you fish the little creek there by your house. I use mine on the Molalla an cast 40' easy.

sweet, ill check it out,, but idk if a 4wt will hold up on a sea run cutthroat will it?