Fly noob here...

E
eggs
Just got my 5wt all tied up and ready to go.. Who is going to teach me how to cast???:D

Irishrover
Irishrover
Perhaps I could get you going on the casting. I'm not sure of my teaching ability but I think I should be able to get you started. I looks like we both live in Sandy so at least travel should not be an issue.

E
eggs
That would be great.. I have been doing a lot of reading about when you speed up and stop you backcast and forward cast.. how you can give alittle pull on the line to let the fly land straight.. just don't know how to actually cast and feed line out on the cast... I have grasped the concept of tossing line not a lure.. just don't know how to get a good loop... I am a quick learner and when I put my mind to sometime I don't stop until I feel I have got a good handle on it..

Irishrover
Irishrover
I just sent you a PM.

T
Troutier Bassier
Youtube. :) you can find a lot of stuff on there

B
bigsteel
let me know when you want to hit the water,,,,ill show ya what i know bro

C
Cake
eggs said:
Just got my 5wt all tied up and ready to go.. Who is going to teach me how to cast???:D

No two people cast the same. My basics were taught to me by a pro a long time ago, his

name was and still is, Joe Humphreys. Look him up on the youtube or just type his name into your search engine.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Cake said:
No two people cast the same. My basics were taught to me by a pro a long time ago, his

name was and still is, Joe Humphreys. Look him up on the youtube or just type his name into your search engine.

Mr Humphreys seems to be by all measures quite the fly fisherman. He has an impressive bio. I did have to laugh when I read he taught Booby Knight how to fly fish. When I think of fly fishing Bobby Knight is not the first thing that comes to my mind. If he can teach some one as fisty as the Famed Basketball coach to lightly land a fly on the water then Mr Humphreys has to be one fine instructor!;) You must share some stories about him.

C
Cake
Irishrover said:
Mr Humphreys seems to be by all measures quite the fly fisherman. He has an impressive bio. I did have to laugh when I read he taught Booby Knight how to fly fish. When I think of fly fishing Bobby Knight is not the first thing that comes to my mind. If he can teach some one as fisty as the Famed Basketball coach to lightly land a fly on the water then Mr Humphreys has to be one fine instructor!;) You must share some stories about him.

I wish you lived closer to me, I could show you how to go catching instead of going fishing.

I am an angler, catch and release only. Trout should die of old age, just like people.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Cake said:
I wish you lived closer to me, I could show you how to go catching instead of going fishing.

I am an angler, catch and release only. Trout should die of old age, just like people.

That would be great. I'm a big believer in "never to old to learn". We might meet on the water some day. My goal is to cover as much fishable water in the State of Oregon as I can. I have covered a lot of the state but each year I try to pick out a few pieces of new water. Perhaps you might live in an area that I have yet to cover. What are your home waters? Yesterday I was on the mid Deschutes catchting and releasing brown trout who were coming up for march browns. Lots of fun.