Fly line question

C
ColoradoTroutMan
As many of you know I have recently taken up the art of fly fishing.

I fish lakes pretty much exclusively so I have a question in regards to fly line floating vs. sinking.

I have been advised on these boards that an intermediate sinking is what I would use most but I recently picked up the Orvis beginning fly fishing book (recommended to me by on OFF member) and they mention using floating line 99% of the time. So I found a contradiction I would like to clear up.

Now I suppose I could carry and extra spool one with floating and one with sinking but the better lines can be cost prohibitive as well as purchasing a reel that takes an extra spool.

So I am deferring to those here who have more experience than I.

I mostly fish Mt. Hood (Trillium, Harriet, and a few of the hike in lakes).

I may be treading into this being a preference but thought I would ask.

A
abel
If I could have only one line it would be a floating one. My second line would be the intermediate. That is because the floating line is more versatile. It's pretty hard to fish a dry fly on a sinking line, but you can fish a sinking fly on a floating line. I fish stillwaters from a float tube and usually take two rods. A 6wt. with an intermediate line for searching with streamers and nymphs. The other rod is a 4 or 5wt. with a floater. I use that for fishing chironomid patterns. I usually fish the 6 wt most of the day, unless there is midge activity. I do have fishing buddies that strip streamers with a floating line and do fine. However, I feel the intermediate line keeps the fly in the zone longer. I don't change spools on the water as it is a time consuming pain... Invest the money in more rods and reels rather than spools.

C
ColoradoTroutMan
Thank you.

M
mccarrel
I'd go with floating line if you're only fishing one line, I use a loop system so if I have to I can throw on a sink line but often times a little split shot on a long leader does the trick.

C
ColoradoTroutMan
Thank you.

M
mezzfin
Floating line for sure. If you need to get down a bit, split shot can get you there. If you need to get down deeper/faster, you can swap out the leader and put on a poly (sinking) leader, and that's a lot cheaper than an additional spool w/line.

J
JHawk
l would agree that the floating line is the way to go if you only want to carry one line. I have Rio Grand, Wulff Ambush, and Cortland's Intermediate sinking line, and use the Ambush almost exclusively. It works well when there's not a lot of room for extended backcasts, but is still easy to control.

C
ColoradoTroutMan
Thanks all for the great advice.

F
furflinger
I rarely use a floating line. Interm./clear and type 2 scientific anglers is what I mainly use. I've been float/fly fishing lakes with my dad since I was 8 I'm now 38. fish feed subsurface 90% of the time. Also keep your rod tip in the water when you hand twist or strip- this will eliminate any belly drag on the fly line- you will have a tight straight contact with the fish-so your able to feel any movement. Somtimes I will Tye on a dry fly- 15 foot flourocarbon onto my clear intermediate- if there is a rise to calibeatis or caddis even often to fast rising midges the hit or stoke will happen way before the line sinks- especially if you are able to place 30-45 foot shots within a hoolu hoop area. maybe well meet one these days up at Harriet(dark olive Stillwater nymph size 10) or maybe down the road at frog at dusk stripping a dark olive marabou as the sun goes down..

A
abel
Good post. Good info about fishing dry flies with an intermediate. Almost sounds like Denny Rickards talking. I'm glad I don't have to pick one line. I love my intermediate and fish it most of the time. It's just nice to have the dry line handy.

C
ColoradoTroutMan
Excellent information guys and greatly appreciated.