Fly line and leader question

brandon4455
brandon4455
i know this is a begginer question and i should know this by now but,, when you tie your leader to your line do you tie anything to your leader or just a fly? because all i ordered was steelhead leaders with my pre spooled 8wt and i wanted to know if i missed anything..

thanks

brandon

G
Growbug
I always add a length of tippet material to the end of the leader. This means that when i am changing flies, or losing them in trees, i lose a small amount off the tippet and not from the leader. The tippet gets replaced each outing to keep it fresh. I mostly match the tippet to the water, etc, not the leader.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Growbug said:
I always add a length of tippet material to the end of the leader. This means that when i am changing flies, or losing them in trees, i lose a small amount off the tippet and not from the leader. The tippet gets replaced each outing to keep it fresh. I mostly match the tippet to the water, etc, not the leader.

thanks growbug

brandon

M
mrlindeman
I tie directly ti the tapered leader. I dont like to many knots in my rigs

M
mlw
If you are using a sink tip of some sort, a tapered leader is not needed, just loop or tie on a short length of 8-12 lb mono.
Michael