Fly floatant

brandon4455
brandon4455
hey everyone, i recently tried to use a dry fly in my sink to see how high it floats..well all the dries i have sink.. so could anyone suggest a kind of fly floatant to use nothing expensive please. thanks

brandon

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Gink is a good one.

L
lilsalmon
I have always used Loon Aquel......inexpensive and it has always worked for me....

S
Spydeyrch
+1 for Gink. That is what I use. :)

-Spydey

M
mikeredding
GungasUncle said:
Gink is a good one.

DITTO.
Don't use the liquid stuff. Can't remember the brand but it really is junk.

B
bigsteel
loon aquel or umpquas bug float..also get some loon top ride,its a powder ina tube you put your fly in and shake it up and it dries all the moisture out of it,it works great for CDC as well

B
benkearney
The dry stuff is best, but I wouldn't write off the liquid stuff altogether. I use the liquid stuff while out in the river because it is easier to carry and apply. You have to reapply it more often, but much easier to stuff in a pocket and apply.

G
GDBrown
If you use the liquid try treating all your flies at home and letting them air dry for a day or two. I usually use the paste type, not sure which brand mine has a green label, they are all some form of silicone base substance. This is one of those cases where less really is better. I had even used bacon grease in a pinch when I went camping and didn't have anything with me. Just remember less is better. Just barely cover the material with the product or if the liquid let it completely dry before using the fly.

Hope this helps,
GD

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks for your help everyone. definitely gunna have to check out that stuff where you shake it in the container

K
Kais
Use gink, good, but hard to get out when its super cold, lol. Kinda expensive though IMO, for just floatant.

O
OnTheFly
False casting and chapstick. And don't use cherry flavor unless you're after carp.

Irishrover
Irishrover
OnTheFly said:
False casting and chapstick. And don't use cherry flavor unless you're after carp.

CHAPSTICK!!!!!!! Now don't you ever give me a hard time for using fingernail polish for head cement again.:lol::lol::lol:

Reactions: eggs and OnTheFly
O
OnTheFly
Irishrover said:
CHAPSTICK!!!!!!! Now don't you ever give me a hard time for using fingernail polish for head cement again.:lol::lol::lol:
lmao! I thought you'd get a kick out of that.:D And didn't I see a Maybilline rack at the fly shop?

Last edited:
E
eggs
I use the loon dry bead tube to dry out my flies if they get damp.. but can't do wrong with gink, apply it to you entire leader and fly.

You're not using a water absorbing dubbing are you? or nymph hooks? or soft hackle instead of dry hackle?

Last edited:
F
flytrekker1007
silicon mucilin!