Fly Fishing Week

O
OnTheFly
I will be leaving for a week long fly fishing trip to central Oregon Sunday the 21st. Our first stop will be Gold Lake. Gold Lake is a fly fishing only, catch and release rainbow trout fishery and a no size or catch limit for brookies. No limit on Bats either! My thread 'Bat on a Fly Line' story occurred there. Our next base camp will most likely be Big Lava Lake. (I hope Troutski left me a few large ones to catch!) Plenty of optional fishing opportunities around there; Hosmer, Fall River, etc. May take the drive up to East Lake for a day also. When I return next Saturday, I will be reporting on every spot I fished to give anyone who's planning a trip there a heads up.

More Later,
Jim

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Quite the itinerary ....

Quite the itinerary ....

OnTheFly said:
I will be leaving for a week long fly fishing trip to central Oregon Sunday the 21st. Our first stop will be Gold Lake. Gold Lake is a catch and release rainbow trout fishery and a no size or catch limit for brookies. No limit on Bats either! My thread 'Bat on a Fly Line' story occurred there. Our next base camp will most likely be Big Lava Lake. (I hope Troutski left me a few large ones to catch!) Plenty of optional fishing opportunities around there; Hosmer, Fall River, etc. May take the drive up to East Lake for a day also. When I return next Saturday, I will be reporting on every spot I fished to give anyone who's planning a trip there a heads up.

More Later,
Jim

Quite the ambitious itinerary, frankly I wouldn't make it past Big Lava. Then there is Hosmer...a very special place for sure. My first Atlantic Salmon was from there...not to mention the Brookies. I am surely envious my friend...Take care and take pictures...enjoy.

Chuck

O
OnTheFly
Troutski said:
Quite the ambitious itinerary, frankly I wouldn't make it past Big Lava. Then there is Hosmer...a very special place for sure. My first Atlantic Salmon was from there...not to mention the Brookies. I am surely envious my friend...Take care and take pictures...enjoy.

Chuck

Hey Troutski, Here's a preview pic of Gold Lake.........

Last edited:
Troutski
Troutski
Gold Lake...

Gold Lake...

You are killing me....20 years ago in a float tube. Funny how flies time;).
Make sure you take extra film for your camera...
Here are a couple of Big Lava...7 lakes in 9 days, kicks your butt - but worth every bit of it.

Chuck

O
OnTheFly
Troutski said:
You are killing me....20 years ago in a float tube. Funny how flies time;).
Make sure you take extra film for your camera...
Here are a couple of Big Lava...7 lakes in 9 days, kicks your butt - but worth every bit of it.

Chuck

Yes! Those are the ones I was hoping you left a few behind from your last trip. Real Nice!! Also, back in a thread somewhere, you were holding up a huge brown trout. Was that Big Lava as well?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Sounds like you have a great trip planned. I've fished gold lake before and was getting my but kicked because I couldn't come up with the right fly. Lucky for me there were a couple of nice guys up there who showed me what they were using and gave me some of there flies. They sure made an impression on me. Hope you have a good time on your trip and rip some lips!

Troutski
Troutski
Brown Trout...

Brown Trout...

OnTheFly said:
Yes! Those are the ones I was hoping you left a few behind from your last trip. Real Nice!! Also, back in a thread somewhere, you were holding up a huge brown trout. Was that Big Lava as well?

That would be a Wickiup fish, one of my 7 of 9 week. Central Oregon can be great at times, but it also has its moments;). That's whats so nice about hitting so many lakes, one will produce. If you do get a chance lets not over look Davis, not for the Trout so much, but the Large Mouth Bass are absolutely huge. I know there is only so much time; just too much water:cool:

Chuck

O
OnTheFly
Irishrover said:
Sounds like you have a great trip planned. I've fished gold lake before and was getting my but kicked because I couldn't come up with the right fly. Lucky for me there were a couple of nice guys up there who showed me what they were using and gave me some of there flies. They sure made an impression on me. Hope you have a good time on your trip and rip some lips!

For me, I am just learning the behavior of the fish up there and every time I go I learn something new. One time I was lucky to find a spot where a lot of feeding activity was taking place. I mean, there were larger class fish thrashing the surface! For the life of me I could not find anything they were interested in. Fish were slamming into something and it wasn't my fly. I then found a light brown tadpole looking thing swimming just below the surface so I plucked it out of the water to take a look. Damselfly nymph. Closest match I had was a gold rib hares ear; same color and size. With floating line and a very slow retrieve, I started catching fish. OK, here's the wierd part; how in the world do you foul hook a fish in the belly with that kind of a retrieve? Only the brooks not the rainbows would come up and body blow the fly. Well, the brooks prefered to smack thier meal first then come back and eat. I have encountered fish doing this before where the they will knock a dry fly sub-surface then come back. One needs to restrain from setting the hook the first time around.

Irishrover
Irishrover
That's what it was like for me fish jumping all over the place but no takers. Got the right fly and wam! You are right it's about matching the hatch.