Fly fishing the surf?

brandon4455
brandon4455
talked to my dad on the phone last night, and he said he would learn how to fly fish with me it got me really excited. he wanted me to ask about flies for surf fishing, for like surf perch,rockfish and suff for our yearly trip to the beach. im guessing shrimp patterns but cabelas dosent have any really good ones,, any fly suggestions the main one im looking at for sea runs and wahtever else will bite it is he polar shrimp . id also like to know if sear run cutthroat would be avalable in the surf? or do they only hang around the mouth of the rivers? any input is much appriciated

brandon

Last edited:
D
Drew9870
You would need an extremely heavy saltwater specific outfit for fly fishing the Oregon surf, lol, and arms like Kimbo Slice to even think about pumping such an outfit.

I have been thinking about fly fishing the finger jetties by the Newport bridge, I'd recommend maybe a decent size crawfish pattern or maybe tie your own giant, beaded San Juan Worm in Red, you wouldn't even need a tying kit for San Juan Worms because they are so easy (easier than a glo bug), just the materials for under $10.

Most of the fish are hanging around the edge or in the holes between the big rocks at the finger jetties, so you could actually just rig a 1 inch crappie grub on a small lead head and flick it out as far as you can, which doesn't need to be more than 30 feet, and just bounce it off the sand like your bouncing a texas rig for bass until you reach the rocks, jigging grubs in random holes under your rod tip can produce fish as well.

I'd also worry about your fly outfit getting corroded, you might want to look into Saltwater fly gear a bit later on.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks drew, thats a lot of helpful info.

M
Markcanby
I know they do it back east but I think its alittle rough on our beach.

brandon4455
brandon4455
im sure i could fish at boat docks/marinas or whatever they are.

C
colbypearson
drew9870 said:
you would need an extremely heavy saltwater specific outfit for fly fishing the oregon surf, lol, and arms like kimbo slice to even think about pumping such an outfit.

awesome!!! :lol::lol::lol:

M
Markcanby
brandon4455 said:
im sure i could fish at boat docks/marinas or whatever they are.

Well then thats not surf fishing.

D
Drew9870
Lol. The only thing you might catch around the docks would be Herring and Sculpin, I wouldn't want to handle ocean Sculpin since a lot of them can harm a person if one got poked by any sharp point located on the back of the gill plate, dorsal fin, and pectoral fin, Cabezon are dangerous as well. You might find a couple little Rockfish hanging around, probably nothing in size or numbers at all.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Drew9870 said:
Lol. The only thing you might catch around the docks would be Herring and Sculpin, I wouldn't want to handle ocean Sculpin since a lot of them can harm a person if one got poked by any sharp point located on the back of the gill plate, dorsal fin, and pectoral fin, Cabezon are dangerous as well. You might find a couple little Rockfish hanging around, probably nothing in size or numbers at all.

yeah, i got poked by a black one of those when i was little it was in a 4-5 inch deep pool just sitting there so i picked it up and it stuck my in the wrist.... very painful

D
Drew9870
I thought I might actually answer your question about the flies to use, I am thinking about fly fishing at Fogarty Beach once Summer gets here, I got an old Salmon fly rod and an old Pflueger Sal-Trout No. 1554 fly reel, maybe I'll just throw some WD-40 on the metal guides on the rod before and after fishing and call it good.

Ocean fish are not picky or line shy, atleast not most of the time, any old crappy streamer will work or I would rather go with a heavy beaded white/tinsel wooly bugger or even a red beaded San Juan Worm in calm conditions, I'd imagine you could get away with no weight if you had an extremely calm low tide, but it would be better to touch bottom once in awhile if possible, you could probably expect Greenling and Striped Perch, possible even a baby Sole or Starry Flounder that hasn't quite adapted to the bottom, but that would be a major surprise.

Oops, guess I did make a few recommendations, lol.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks drew thats a lot of helpful info, ill try it out this summer hopefully one of us will get somthing

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
You don't need a really heavy outfit to fish the jetties/rocks or even in most beach fishing situations, if you're targeting perch. A typical bass or steelhead rod would be fine - a 9' 7 or 8 weight rod, a leader from 5-9 feet made of hard, abrasion resistant line - and a good abrasion resistant tippet. Since you're talking about close-in fishing, you can easily get by with a normal WF taper, or bass-bug taper line.

You can tie up some simple shrimp flies - get a curved, #6 nymph hook. Wrap your thread (red, orange, or tan), tie in a couple live-rubber antennae at the curve of the hook, a turn of crystal chenille, lock in a mostly stripped orange marabou or saddle stem, leaving a triangle shaped tip that protrudes over the hook eye. Dub in a body of loose marabou, or orange flashy artificial dubbing. Whip finish below the tail that protrudes over the hook eye. Good small shrimp pattern. Works for trout, or jetty fish. Tie it bigger or smaller to your heart's content. You can also tie large versions of this on something like a #1 or 1/0 Gamakatsu G-Lock hook or other offset shank worm hook. You can weight the body with lead wire or fine solder if you need to get it deep, or leave unweighted for shallower fishing.

Aside from that - some simple streamers made of crystal flash, marabou, and bucktail work fine or baitfish immitations. Clean your hooks well in fresh water when you're done or they'll rust.

Some factory produced flies you might like - Lefty's Decievers, Clouser Minnows, Micky Finns, Marabou Muddlers work well.