Fly fishing the Nestucca for steelhead

W
wiserm
i have gone to try to catch a couple of stealhead with my fly pole but no luck :( i am very new to this so i was wonderin what fly works best ths time of year and where the best places to go this time of year any input would be amazing.

thank you all

S
steelhead1
There are summer fish in the stucca now, but the water is very low and clear,a challenging condition.The fish will be in the deeper pools and riffles,and will be very spooky.IMO, stealth is your best bet for getting them to take.Sneak up on the hole,stay low,wear dark clothing and keep casting movement to minimum. I have been throwing a stone fly nymph with an orange beadhead and rubber legs,under a thingamabobber,and streamer type contraptions in blue and green after the fish have busted me(know I am there).I like to swing a wet steelhead fly on the bigger waters (santiams,lower siletz ect),I dont think color is all that important if the presentation is good.Any river that holds summers will have fish around,just think high.The siletz gorge at first light,saturday mornings.Oops,now I have said too much...:D

W
wiserm
thank you! i would like to go a couple times a week so what time after 430pm would be the next bite? and thanks again steelhead1 i appreciate it

M
Markcanby
I myself love the Thingamabobs but I got a new perspective on them today. They splash pretty hard on the water may spook a lot of fish in low water:(. An you probably have yarn already so I would go with yarn.:D

W
wiserm
thanks alll! i went Wednesday and tried to be stealth but i think i failed that as i only caught about 20 4 to 7inch trout. did get a 14 inch cutthroat but thew him back since i was after something bigger. i dont think i scared them cuz they where some big one jumping like crazy :shock:! so idk what im doing wrong hopefully i do better sunday! :D