Fly fishing rookie

brandon4455
brandon4455
so i decided to start fly fishing.. i have a general knowledge of flies for salmon and steelhead but i'm going after trout. i'm getting a cheap 30-50$ outfit does anybody have advice about outfit/fly selections for coastal cutthroat? i already have bead head prince ordered on ebay in size 16 but thats about it.

G
GDBrown
I have my best luck down there using an elk hair cadis/size 16-20 or a royal coachman in the same sizes. I'm not much of a nymph fisherman. I try but not that hard.

GD

M
Markcanby
can't go wrong with BWO or Adams in 14-18

brandon4455
brandon4455
sweet thanks a lot guys i think i have general knowledge of what i can throw at a hungry cutthroat. can't wait for my first trout on the fly!

G
GDBrown
Remember that coastal cutthroat season is complete for this year. If you are stopped make sure you tell them you are fising for Steelhead.

brandon4455
brandon4455
the creek by my house dosent close till the 31st. i still have a bit of time left. and with all the left over flies im gunna have ill use for winter steelhead. problem solved ;)

brandon4455
brandon4455
and i still have a lake full of fat cutts to fish for november so i'm set.

B
bigsteel
stimulators,elk hair caddis,pmd emergers,green drakes all are killer cutthroat patterns