Fly fishing only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E
Eastcoastborn
Are there any steelhead streams/rivers that are fly fishing and artificial lures only? Or have sections for fly fishing and artificial lures only? I am so tired of the combat fishing with the gear guys....

O
OnTheFly
You will find mostly fly fishermen along with peace of mind on the Deschutes.:)

D
Drew9870
Upper Nestucca

E
Eastcoastborn
Where on the upper Nestucca? I don't know that river.....

D
Drew9870
I believe the town was called Blaine, I was just there today, the water is still a little colored. I don't drive so I can't help out with directions, lol. I might take you up on one of your trips sometime if it would be alright, but I am a noob at Steel on the Fly :( lol, I tie nickel size glo bugs for drift fishing winter fish though.

C
colbypearson
i have been to the "holy water" one time under lost creek dam, and had the displeasure of meeting the most ignorant and immature man and wife i have ever seen im my entire life.......i wont be going back there on a weekend again.

S
skunk
The only 'fly only' I can think of without looking at regs is upper umpqua. That's river related, for steel, around here. Here's a few artificial fly and lure only... Big Creek (upper), upper nestucca, parts and times on the Mckenzie River (see synopsis), molalla river (its uncrowded for steel i'm thinking), row river, Tanner Creek (I think, not positive). Of course, verify in the synopsis as to areas and dates that bait is allowed or banned.

G
Growbug
Molalla is a nice "artificial only" river. Never that crowded and there are quite a few nice 'fly guy' accessible spots. Gimme a shout if you want to try it. I always need an excuse to go.

J
JodysaHoser
All the gear guys? Whatever that means. Fly only ticks me off. I could understand a no bait section, but to limit it to "Brad Pitt" only is elitist.

J
JodysaHoser
Upper North Umpqua is some of the best water in Oregon and limited to Fly, have fun.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Salmon River on Sandy River system. Open only in July and August. Great Steelhead river and beautiful area.

F
FishFiddle
Little North Fork of the Santiam and the Metolius. At my age I think I enjoy being compared to Brad!!

troutdude
troutdude
Drew9870 said:
Upper Nestucca

Yep. X 2. Lots of bank access up high. And the right type of water too.

troutdude
troutdude
skunk said:
The only 'fly only' I can think of without looking at regs is upper umpqua. That's river related, for steel, around here. Here's a few artificial fly and lure only... Big Creek (upper), upper nestucca, parts and times on the Mckenzie River (see synopsis), molalla river (its uncrowded for steel i'm thinking), row river, Tanner Creek (I think, not positive). Of course, verify in the synopsis as to areas and dates that bait is allowed or banned.

The Mollala only gets a small run of nates...so, likely C & R only too. Just saying...

H
halibuthitman
JodysaHoser said:
All the gear guys? Whatever that means. Fly only ticks me off. I could understand a no bait section, but to limit it to "Brad Pitt" only is elitist.
brad pit has a $hitty back cast...........

C
colbypearson
JodysaHoser said:

agreed, thats the type i have seen thus far in my "fly only" adventures recently im sure theyre not all but ya i see lots of elitists.... i met a guide last weekend and apparently he owns the head waters of the rogue is all im gonna say and if he gets in your face, he doesn't care if your only 16 he will learn his lesson one day :mad:

H
halibuthitman
colby.... NEVER... go to Montana... just sayin-

C
colbypearson
halibuthitman said:
colby.... NEVER... go to Montana... just sayin-

hahahahaha, there isn't enough big bass there anyways and i dont go sight seeing for nothing LOL, thanks for the warning

Troutski
Troutski
Restricted waters...

Restricted waters...

JodysaHoser said:

The way I understand it next year all waters in side the borders of Oregon will be opened to all means of angling, due to a class action suite by the ACLU on behalf of all Oregon anglers. You should read the fine print, gonna get nasty in a hurry, I fly fish along with spinning gear and never really cared for the "only" in the fishing regs, unless the fly anglers are willing to pay for the right to have there own piece of water. Heck maybe we can sue and get a bait only river...Fall River sits well with me...:dance: can you imagine drifting a garden hackle through that place...:clap::clap:

Chuck

B
bigsteel
heres my take on it,go to any piece of water that is fly only,and i have many times.no styrafoam bait containers,no wads of mono line in every tree,no lure or jig packages thrown along the ground,its the cleanest stretch of the river hands down.fly guys are just different,we dont like combat fishing we dont like standing arm to arm with everyone and there mother right below every dam in oregon.we dont fish to fill our tags,99.9% of fly fishermen are catch and release.fly fishermen believe in native,wild fish.using flies compared to a spinner with a huge treble hook is far more safe for a fish,and has been proven.

Just take the deschutes for instance,right now they have over 3,000 redsides per river mile,,now open that up to bait and you can kiss off that fish population.\

flyfishermen could care less about hatchery fish which is why most guys fish catch and release rivers.and as far as them being elitist im not sure what the term means?what does elitist mean to you?

also would like to add as far as i know fly fishermen are the only anglers who advocate catch and realease and wild fish proponents,theres several groups dedicated to this in the flyfishing community but you never hear that from gear guys.

with that said,fish how u want.

to the original poster,go fish the deschutes,metolius,crooked they are all pretty much fly only and thank god you wont have to encounter those nasty bait containers laying all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.