Fly fishing only section of the N. Umpqua

H
halibuthitman
Im gonna explore the N. Umpqua on Friday, should I expect some solitude... or a blanket hatch of fisherman? Wouldn't mind meeting someone up there if they feel like it. Gonna start at susan creek park- Brad

T
Throbbit _Shane
I dont know how far your going up but id check out the hot springs! Theres also some cool waterfalls in the area. Dont know much about the fishing though, lol. Good luck!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Ive done a lot of rafting up there from Copeland creek:) But my fishing experience ended before the fly deadline, really pretty, lots of awesome water, miles of fly fishermans choice. Have fun!

S
steelhead_slayer
please post how it was. i have a trip planned there in a few weeks

Y
Yohan
Soooooo how was it? No need for a detailed report, just a simple answer... Was it worth it? (I was thinking about making the trip in the near future)

H
halibuthitman
Yohan said:
Soooooo how was it? No need for a detailed report, just a simple answer... Was it worth it? (I was thinking about making the trip in the near future)
I would sell a kidney for gas money to go back...

H
halibuthitman
but I would wait for the summers to come in.. or at least for the winters to work farther up-

M
markasd
Mmmm summers..... first steel on the fly was a summer, there under Mott Bridge. Beastly fish in there..

T
Thuggin4Life
Should ahve seen this earlier. Great water. You will see people but not many if any. great scenery. and if you would have waited until march there would be plenty of fish showing up. Not to mention I lost a steelhead that was over 20lbs if not close to 25lbs after a 30 minute battle of who was stonger. him or my 17lb test. he won so he might end up in that stretch of water in weeks to come. if you get him ask him for my hook back please. Moster fish on that river to be had.

Last edited:
S
steelhead_slayer
did you run into any people or did you pretty much have the river to yourself?

H
halibuthitman
pretty lonely up there, and I would recommend against fishing up there alone.. no cell, and a guy could really get hurt, lots of logs boulders and structure to nock a guy down.

Irishrover
Irishrover
halibuthitman said:
pretty lonely up there, and I would recommend against fishing up there alone.. no cell, and a guy could really get hurt, lots of logs boulders and structure to nock a guy down.

Now that what I call dam good advise! It sure beats being read about in the obits, especially with many more years of fishing still to do.;)

S
steelhead_slayer
thanks for the advice. i'll be up there soon. not alone, but with my buddy. we're used to fishing dangerous lonely stretches. prefer the lonely part. prepare for the dangerous