Fly fishing only questions

B
Browning
Ok, thanks to my other thread I now know the dumbell head micro jigs are legal in the Rogue during fly season. I also already know that spinning tackle is ok too. What I'm wondering now is what floats do you use? According to the regs it says "no added weights or attachments except
a bubble or similar floating device may be used Sept. 1-Oct. 31." So I'm assuming that leaves slip bobbers out since you can't add any weight. Are weighted floats ok? Do you guys just run one of those with a long leader?

M
Mad dog
Browning said:
Ok, thanks to my other thread I now know the dumbell head micro jigs are legal in the Rogue during fly season. I also already know that spinning tackle is ok too. What I'm wondering now is what floats do you use? According to the regs it says "no added weights or attachments except
a bubble or similar floating device may be used Sept. 1-Oct. 31." So I'm assuming that leaves slip bobbers out since you can't add any weight. Are weighted floats ok? Do you guys just run one of those with a long leader?

Weighted flies, dumbell eyes, beadheads are all legal on the Rogue. No added weight would be split shot, slinkys or some other weight seperate from the fly. No fancy slip bobbers necessary, just buy some of those hard plastic torpedo floats, they are usually clear, red or chartruse. I mostly run a clear one but a red one is nice in riffle water when you are casting longer distances. a lot of the fish you will be fishing for will be about 4-6ft deep. Riffles, choppy flats, pocket water and mostly....tailouts!!! Nymphs work good on the Rogue, stoneflies, prince nymphs and copper johns would be a good place to start! I imagine that some of Steelhead stalkers micro jigs would be killer!

E
everett464
Thingamabobbers!

That right there is the only fly fishing indicator you will ever need.

B
Bucknasty
+1 on thingamabobbers!

S
steelhead_stalkers
Its such a nice stretch of water to fish up there and not a whole lot of pressure. We used those little red bobbers with the weight on the bottom and they worked just fine. If anyone is looking to fish the upper Rogue during the fly only time and want some special weighted jigs let me know. I can tie up extra weight on them so they get down fast and help you keep a more vertical presentation. Also we had good luck with pink but black seems to be effective too. Good luck out there. :D