Fly fishing near Tualatin

F
Fly
Hello all, i just moved out to tualatin from southern california and i really need someone to guide me on where to go and the set up i will need. I like to fish anything except for small streams. For now i own a Cabelas Three Forks 9' 5wt rod with 5wt floating line. I am going to be bank fishing so i need somewhere with easy access and where i can wade out if needed. (perferably a place with little to no trees behind you.) I am interested in fishing for trout and any other large breed fish if i get the proper equipment for it. anyone that can help give me names of rivers and lakes to go to this would be really appreciated. along with telling me what set up i need as far as rod and reel. Fly selection is a big factor too. I used to fish in the High Sierras around Yosemite and i really enjoyed it so if anyone can help please and thanks:)

S
Spydeyrch
Just to be clear, you don't like to fish small streams, right? :D

-Spydey

F
Fly
Correct. i find it too challenging with not big of a reward lol dont get me wrong im sure its fun its just not for me

F
Fly
im talking like Foresty swampy streams...

S
Spydeyrch
Fly said:
im talking like Foresty swampy streams...

Ok, that makes sense. When I think small streams, I think of something like this:

300px-Lewis-and-clark-river.jpg

20120623_172736.jpg

p1000753i.jpg

I absolutely love fishing small streams!!!

But they aren't open until end of april and end of may, depending on the stream system

-Spydey

F
Fly
Very nice. Im still a little confused on the rules and regulations in oregon. i just want to find a spot i can pull up to for free and fish for a few hours but not have to drive far from home.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF.

I'd suggest the Sandy and / or the Clackamas. But, again, they're not open yet for trout. Both streams have springers and summers. But, a 5 wt. rod is IMO too "light" for such bruisers.

Get yourself a copy of "The Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon", or "Fishing in Oregon" (new revision coming out sometime this Spring, according to the author). Those books are the Bibles of fishing around here. You'll learn a lot, in a short amount of time on where to go, what species, run timings, directions, etc.

You can also search around, and review archived threads and posts on here too.

Tight lines.

G
grampa ron
At this time of year you might look around for the ponds that are being stocked near you. I know some people whine about hatchery fish, but, fishing is fishing.

troutdude
troutdude
Great suggestion Ron! Most--but NOT all--lakes are open year round. BUT, CHECK THE REG BOOK, or call ODFW before venturing out.

Here is the number to call too. You can listen to the stocking schedule for that week, by pressing 2. Press 2 a second time, and you'll hear all actual stocking confirmations for that week.

You can also press 0, to speak with the lady who answers (should you have any unanswered questions). I've spoken with her many times; and she has always been very pleasant.

F
Fly
Well i just found out today that i have to wait till i gain residency before i can get a fishing license...which is 5months and 3 weeks away :/

F
Fly
makes me so sad :(

Admin
Admin
I think you can buy a non resident license. It costs more expensive, but you will not have to wait for 6 months.

Last edited:
F
Fly
its worth it...i would rather die then not fish for 6 months...thats a big reason why i moved to oregon was for the fishing! lol