Fly fishing JC Pond

G
grampa ron
I manage to CR a limit of trout today, fly fishing against the wind. It wasn't easy. We should all be complaining to ODFW about the size of fish that are getting put in there. Not only are they not legal size, but they make perfect food for the Cormorants.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Get one for me...

Get one for me...

I think they are hoping all the fisher folk will keep the birds at bay. But,at least you were out there catching. If I don't get out on the water soon,well,I don't want to offend postal workers,but I'm gonna go out and squish all the bugs I can find! :rolleyes: :lol:

B
bigfootfish
Cormorants?

Cormorants?

Cormorants? Those are those big waterfowls that ride low in the water? If so, then yes for sure do they eat trout. I was down at JCP a few days after the tanker dropped off those 30 brooders. Was watching those birds dive and occasionally surface with 11 to 12 inch trout in their mouths. Took the birds about 10 seconds to swallow the fish. I can see how those Cormorants could reduce the fish population real quick.

BFF

G
grampa ron
JC Pond Cormorants

JC Pond Cormorants

The oly good Cormarant is a dead one. Everyone should complain to ODFW about the problem at JC Pond, and about the under size fish that we are paying to be stocked. If the fish were 14" and up it would be a lot better! Call Steve at ODFW in Corvalis (541)757-4186. He controls what goes in.

Last edited:
G
ghostcow
Easy now, Cormorants are great looking bird and I think you have identified the source of the problem and it ain't the birds.

G
grampa ron
JC Pond 11/16/09

JC Pond 11/16/09

Have you ever been fishing at the pond? As many as 80 were counted at one time last year. They can eat most of the stocked fish in a few days!

G
ghostcow
Nope, never been there but I do understand the concept of fish pond, with limited cover being overstocked to the point where birds can feed off this bounty. It attracts fishermen and fishing birds. The answer isn't killing off a bunch of birds but providing a better pond for fewer and bigger fish.
Cheers.

B
bigfootfish
Birds eat fish!

Birds eat fish!

It seems the best solution to the Cormorants at JCP would be to put fish in JCP that the birds can't swallow.:lol: Yeah!:dance:
The Odfw likes JCP especially 'cause it's completely landlocked. Fish can't swim in or out of the pond.
There's some streams over on the other side of the Steens Mountains, in the South East part of Oregon. There are native "pure" Lahonten Cutthroat and crossbred Rainbow/Lahonten Cutthroat and also crossbred Redband/Lahonten Cutthroat in those streams. What's amazing is that those streams are landlocked. They are born in the mountains down there, of course, but they dry up going into the alvord Desert, so there may be no way for other fish to swim upstream from other lower streams since there are no other lower streams, now-a-days. Historically yes. But I suppose if they had massive runoff over there and the Alvord Desert filled up and some or all of those streams flowed into the same waterbody......:think:

BFF