Fly fishing in saltwater

T
TeflonSteel
I'm new to the forum, I'm interested in Fly Fishing the Oregon Coast. Would like to hear some experience with it and maybe type of equipment recommended and successful fly patterns that have worked. Most of my Equipment is Trout gear.

Thanks much.

F
fisherwilly
Hello, I would recommend Ken Hanley's book Fly Fishing Afoot in the Surf Zone it has some basic salt water fly fishing information for the Oregon coast. But the fly patterns in there are pretty good. Also you can get some good patterns from some fly shops, any crab or minnow pattern would probably get you some strikes. I haven't done to well on the catching side, but the fishing side is fun if the wind isn't too strong. I usually use a 8wt and cast off of rocks for rockfish or go to some breakers and cast into them for surf perch. Good Luck

N
ninja2010
i've never fished off the oregon coast but have had some bonefish chasing days... i used to sling clouser minnows on an 8wt outfit.

T
TeflonSteel
Fly Fishing the Coast

Fly Fishing the Coast

Thank for all your responses. I see that Fly Fishing of the Coast here is still fun in progress. I've done fishing the Gulf as well and that was very fun. I do want to try my luck here as well. If anything it will be fun.