Fly fishing get together

B
bigsteel
anyone up for a get together for some fly fishing this spring?

G
ghostcow
I would love to be introduced to some new water down south of Portland. I'm a total newbie in fly fishing so it won't be pretty but could be fun. Just let me know, I'm itching to get out...

B
bigsteel
im thinkion as soon as trout season opens,,,we can pick a place and hit it up

G
ghostcow
Sounds good. I have subscribed to this thread so PM me or post here as season opener gets closer.
Cheers.

G
GDBrown
I would love to do a group trip. I'll even bring my little drift boat if I can use it to my advantage.. I'll try and subscribe to this thread so I can keep track of it.

GD

T
Thuggin4Life
A lot of people fly fish the mckenzie. Pretty country the farther you get away from town and up river on the south for has some nice native fish and is flies and lures only c&r. Bit of a drive you guys probably have close fly water.

O
OnTheFly
bigsteel said:
anyone up for a get together for some fly fishing this spring?

Is that a trick question?

B
bigsteel
I knew we would get something going...I was thinking the mckenzie,,or metolius maybe....any ideas on where u guys want to go?

T
Thuggin4Life
You guys should do mckenzie. hit it a bit in town then head out of town and end up on the south fork, maybe even up blueriver as well.mckenzie has native rainbows and cutthroughts along with pellets heads from the mouth up to leaburg.

B
bigsteel
I like the blue river area

O
OnTheFly
Float trip?:dance::pray:

G
GDBrown
I can tell I'm going to be spending the night somewhere. Sounds like an adventure!

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah and iif you come in the late spring there are nooks and steel. I vote for you guys to hit the upper mckenzie, south fork, and above blue river res. Take plenty of pictures and stop by and say hi.

B
bigsteel
come on andy ill bring an extra fly rod,,,,come swing the buggy whip with us

T
Thuggin4Life
I wouldn't know the first thing about using a fly rod I would hate to ruin it. Do you have to learn any special knots? Casting would be my hard thing I'm sure you guys would show me what to use. Maybe I'll ride along with you guys and take a spinning rod a clear bobber and the few random flies I have found over the years and pretend to know what i am doing.

B
bigsteel
im all right at casting but i still whip myself now and then..the best knots are nail knot surgeon knot and improved clinch,,,those are what i use.....we can set ya up so you can plunk em too.ive never tried that

T
Thuggin4Life
I might go out. jsut show me how to cast and let me use a fly or two. I can tie the improved clinch so i guess i am good to go. How hard is it to cast?

B
bigsteel
its not too hard just a little coordination,,,and be able to shoot line

N
ninja2010
Thuggin4Life said:
How hard is it to cast?

if you be nice to onthefly, he can teach you to cast like a champ in an hour.

F
fourgotten
Thuggin4Life said:
mckenzie has native rainbows and cutthroughts along with pellets heads from the mouth up to leaburg.

The hatchery fish go WELL above Leahburg... I've caught them up to Blue River, where I stopped fishing.