Fly fishing get together (details)

brandon4455
brandon4455
lilsalmon said:
Hey you were supposed to be at this one....I guess your poopin out on us? ;)

no,im comng to the fly getogether if i manage to get a ride.. i thought since you said you were going friday it was a seperate trip considering the get together is in june. i ant poopin out! i wouldn't miss somthing like this lol

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
yar, took your idea and ran with it lilsalmon - there's be a poll (pole? Pol?) up now...

B
bigsteel
shady cove would be a good place to camp,plenty of water on the little northfork as well as the north santiam,,,i will be up there the 3rd as well getting camp set up......june should be a good caddis showing

L
lilsalmon
brandon4455 said:
no,im comng to the fly getogether if i manage to get a ride.. i thought since you said you were going friday it was a seperate trip considering the get together is in june. i ant poopin out! i wouldn't miss somthing like this lol

Sorry, I was responded to GU when he said when he would be arriving.....by friday, I meant in June....my bad

brandon4455
brandon4455
oooh okay hehehe. well, i have some small jobs lined up and i should have a 3-4wt by that time and about 20-40 flies.. i should be set. :D i think my flies wil be mostly directed towards caddis and stoneflies. yumm! and thanks to rose i will have a tent to sleep in :lol:

L
lilsalmon
Its a 4 person tent but it will work.....

G
GDBrown
If I bring the Lazy Drifter will someone help me shuttle? I've never been down the Santiam so having someone with me who has would make me feel better about taking the Drifter.
I plan on getting to Shady Grove CG on Thursday as early as I can from Hillsboro. I'll be sleeping in the back of the truck or in my tent if I'm not too lazy.

Unless someone is willing to share space in a camper!!??!!

GD

brandon4455
brandon4455
sounds like it will work to me. :D

L
lilsalmon
GDBrown said:
If I bring the Lazy Drifter will someone help me shuttle? I've never been down the Santiam so having someone with me who has would make me feel better about taking the Drifter.
I plan on getting to Shady Grove CG on Thursday as early as I can from Hillsboro. I'll be sleeping in the back of the truck or in my tent if I'm not too lazy.

Unless someone is willing to share space in a camper!!??!!

GD

I can shuttle you but not a boat....my PT cruiser forded a stream quite well but wont tow a boat....trade it for a truck in a heart beat.....

I will be fishin from the bank tho...

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
bank fishers unite woohoo! :lol: if it wasn't for dave i would be wader-less and hiding on the dry rocks in the hot sun instead of the cool flowing water. by the way, before i assume i need a ride from my house all the way there im going to see if mom can take me to salem and meet up with someone in the salem/stayton area. :D

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
okay so...what flies should i be bringing with me? for dries so far im buying some stuimulators and elk hair caddis, for nymphs ,bead head prince,caddis pupa, couple stoneflies

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
brandon4455 said:
okay so...what flies should i be bringing with me? for dries so far im buying some stuimulators and elk hair caddis, for nymphs ,bead head prince,caddis pupa, couple stoneflies

I've always done well with generic patterns - Adams, Humpy (Royal and Yellow), Stimulator's, Bivisible. In addition to those, Elk Hair Caddis have always done well - along with black micro buggers, small woolly buggers, and Zug Bugs (prince nymphs will do fine as a stand in for Zug Bugs.)

brandon4455
brandon4455
it's suppose to rain for the next 10 days straight.... wtf is with this weather!!?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
That just means it's going to be more of a sub-surface game than a dry fly game I guess. Fish will still be there. If the river winds up chocolate pudding in color, or flowing to hot & heavy, there's always Detroit Lake not far away...

S
skunk
brandon4455 said:
it's suppose to rain for the next 10 days straight.... wtf is with this weather!!?

I gave up wishing for it to stop, just gonna have to go out anyway. At least if you wade you'll be in the water top and bottom!

R
rainbowfisherman
Was at the little North Santiam on Sunday planned to fish but it turned into more of a scouting trip. The river was as high as I have ever seen it. Way to high for me to even set up my fly rod. Hope this won't affect your plans. Just thought y'all would like a heads up.

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
i was afraid this would happen..probably gunna get rescheduled

Last edited:
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
We're still going Friday-Sunday. It's the only chance I've got to get away from work, and we've already lined up a family member to watch the baby for the two and a half days. If the water is clear but high - the river will fish. If it's chocolate + high, it might fish with gear (fly fishing wouldn't be horribly fun in such conditions). They're forecasting 70 degree weather for this weekend now - so maybe, just maybe, the river will be on the drop and clearing by then, if not at least clear & high.

The biggest issue with high, clear water, is wading safely. There's some pools I like fishing that are scary to wade in the summer flows, but add a foot or more to the water height, and they'll be unwadable (like, over my head unwadable).

Nymphing is probably going to be the name of the game, I'm hoping that there will be dry fly action, but we'll see.

L
lilsalmon
I have a few pools I want to check out that I haven't been to for awhile, anyway, so I will still be there. This is Oregon....who knows what the weather will be like. If all else fails I will go to Mill City and see my new little great nephew that should be born at any moment........:D

brandon4455
brandon4455
lilsalmon said:
I have a few pools I want to check out that I haven't been to for awhile, anyway, so I will still be there. This is Oregon....who knows what the weather will be like. If all else fails I will go to Mill City and see my new little great nephew that should be born at any moment........:D

its suppose to be 70 degrees so thats good. im just happy i get to come out and meet everyone and have a good time. and do stuff.. you know..stuffy stuff thats stuffy? :lol: