Fly fishing for shad

atjohnson1111
atjohnson1111
I’m looking to fly fish the Shad run this year on the willamette. I have no idea where to start. Gear isn’t really a problem but tactics, what I’m looking for in a stretch of water, and what flies to tie are the main concern. Just looking to start a conversation and it looks like the boards don’t have this question readily available.

G
Gulfstream
flies need to be weighted. Bead chain for eyes .pink or chartreuse is best.The fish will not come up to bite so they mostly bite on the swing or at the end of .

Reactions: atjohnson1111
Fummus
Fummus
Agree with Gulfstream, flies need to be bottom ticking heavy in chartreuse or various shades of pink. Other colors I've seen work occasionally are white, red, and yellow. On the Umpqua just look for a conglomeration of cars parked along the river and watch the crowds for a bit to get an idea what colors they're throwing and where. I usually look for deep runs and bounce small crappie jigs along the bottom. Last year I went with some friends of mine and they were fishing crappie jigs under a bobber with split shot to get the jigs down. Seemed to work for them and they didn't sacrifice quite so many jigs to the river rock gods.

Reactions: atjohnson1111
00Swede
00Swede
Haven't ever fly rod fished for them but do tie up my own stuff for fishing them.
I have always done better with a jig style hook for some reason. Small offerings are better. Very little body if any. I've caught a lot of shad with just a colored jig head and gold hook. 1/32 to 1/16 oz. I usually tie just a little crystal flash below the jig head.
If l bought some of the ones with all that marabou, I would cut it off at least to the hook bend. If i were buying some these would be the ones. The gold ones I do buy and fish them with no body. And like others have said, however you are fishing for them, got to get your offering down where they live.

• Shad Killers.jpeg
  • Shad killer.jpeg
  • Shad Dart.jpg