Fly fishing for coast range cutts

brandon4455
brandon4455
today me and a berg03 went to a small stream that drains out of the coast range into the valley loaded with hungry cutts, this was his first time using his fly rod and i have to admit he did very well. he managed a nice amount of cutties and so did i. the guy didn't even bother touching his spinning rod this trip :lol: . all in all it was a decent day, a bit slower then usual..low water plus temp change = finicky trout. before leaving i fished a pocket i never have, only to have a behemoth of a cutthroat rise to my goddard caddis and then spook because he saw me. this fish was over 18 inches for sure.. i almost pooed myself watching it slowly rise, only to refuse taking my caddis. i tried a possie bugger after 2 or 3 different dires with no success, and called it a day. most larger fish over 14 inches were spooked as they neared the surface or i just missed the hookset. fishing should heat up as the fall rains pour down on all the smaller rivers. top pic is my fish second is berg03's first on the fly. i can't wait to get a better cam.. broke my moms at the nestucca last month. it was my first spill in the river :lol:

• brad's first on the fly.jpg
  • my cuttie.jpg
L
lilsalmon
nice fishes...I got skunked today.....sorry I didn't text you back...laid on the couch and fell asleep.....

brandon4455
brandon4455
lilsalmon said:
nice fishes...I got skunked today.....sorry I didn't text you back...laid on the couch and fell asleep.....

it's okay rose, i feel asleep too. i was worn out from fishing for some odd reason. you guys will have to come fish soon when the water gets higher up there.

T
thenewbigfootfish
brandon4455 said:
it's okay rose, i feel asleep too. i was worn out from fishing for some odd reason. you guys will have to come fish soon when the water gets higher up there.

you have heard of single-use codes? Well, how about single-use usernames!! HAHAHAHA. I'm back but not for long. i will be banned momentarily and just vanish into the night, with nothing left to remind you of me except a bad smell, like an old fart in the wind!!

troutdude
troutdude
Brandon; it sure is a good thing that you are a certified member of the CRC club. Otherwise, you would have singly taken all of the fish out of that creek!

Nicely done, once again, Cutthroat Slayer.

I
idahojeff
Beautiful color on that first cuttie! Good for you dude!

R
rippin fish lips
nice fishies bro!

W
waco
Nice job bro!!! I can not believe how soon you became an expert on fly fishing!! Congrats!!!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Coolbeans man. Nice fish!

B
bigsteel
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Nicely done,Brandon & berg03! I seem to remember three guys and a grandma hitting the cutties a while back...great day with friends on the water always trumps a day on the couch. :lol::lol:

T
TTFishon
Nice fish Brandon! Looks like a fun day on the water!

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks everyone . it was good to get out again. although the big fish all managed to avoid getting hooked it was a good outing. this river seems to produce some very colorful cutts everytime i visit, often more colorful then any cutts i have seen. truly a special place to me. and barb, we will have to do that again lol

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Nice little cutties man!

B
Berg03
Ya thanks to Brandon I was able to hook a few of them little guys. :) Had a blast playing with the fly rod for the first time. It was good to find someone so close to my house to fish with :) gonna do it again real soon!

Reactions: brandon4455