Fly Fishing for Carp

D

Drew9870

Banned User
Has anyone ever tried Fly Fishing for Carp? It is really hard, and you have to mostly sight fish. I was at Minto Brown Park today using bread on my fly rod (I know, I was cheating, using bait on a fly rod) and I hooked (and lost) two monster Carp, both atleast 10 pounds, and I broke the hook off both times. I am positive my knot was wore out from getting caught in the tall grass behind me, but the second one I hooked instantly took me into my backing.

I will be headed out there with heavier fly gear tomorrow. I thought I was already going too heavy with an 8lb leader and 6lb tippet.

J

joesnuffy

Bread? Really? ARGH! :naughty:

Try using small woolybuggers, prince nymphs, hairs ears.........

Otherwise, your not really flyfishing, you just using the fly rod. :p

D

Drew9870

Banned User
Otherwise, your not really flyfishing, you just using the fly rod. :p

I know I know, I have a goal to catch a carp on my fly rod, I believe its a 4wt rod (it's like a noodle), I have already caught one on my less than 3ft microlight ice fishing pole with 4lb test, and that was my biggest carp also about 15lbs and 34 inches.

I have no areas around here to really sight fish for carp, they are hard to find meaning it would be a very slim chance for me to set a fly right in front of their face.

I have also heard that San Juan Worms work along with crayfish patterns.

O

osmosis

Don't let the purists get to ya!
They're just sick of the bait guys catching more fish :D
I use bait, and drift fish with a fly rod all the time. I call it drift fishing with a fly rod because it isn't really fly fishing.. however it is certainly a lot more effective than dry flies or nymphs.
The only time I really fly fish nowadays is on stillwaters for trout.

J

joesnuffy

Using garden hackle isn't fly fishing.

Anyways, i've also heard about San Juan worms working too. Be carful with your #4. It wouldn't take much for a large carp to snap that sucker :( I'd try it with a #6 if you had one.

I'm going to be targeting Carp at some point in July with "flys" I'll let you know how it turns out.

D

Drew9870

Banned User
I believe the other fly rod I have is a 6wt, but I am going to bring a salmon/steelhead fly rod and my 8ft noodle fly rod.

Osmosis - I understand about fly fishing in creeks and rivers, something about a trout only having a split second chance to grab a bug that is moving about 20 mph doesn't seem right, I have caught many trout on a fly rod in creeks, but its a pain. But with a lake, they have more time to inspect it, so you want to get as close to matching the hatch as possible (or use something like a gnat or skeeter).

Top Bottom