Fly fishing for carp!

I
igquick
On my little search for Carp, I stumbled on some carp that were feeding on the top after I've been doing my normal bait fishing off the bottom with white bread. So I also noticed that they were also eating the bread off the top, so I grabbed a spare fishing rod and used a weightless size 6 or 8 circle. So I hooked a half inch piece of white bread and cast onto the surface. Once I saw that bread crumb disappear, I set the hook lightly and it was fish on!!!!! Boy it was fun, although the average fish I was catching was between 1 to 7 lbers, they put up a crazy fight with multiple runs! I even had a few break my 12 lb test for horsing them in, so that's when I noticed to take it a little easier on them and allow them to run even more than I allowed them to. So after having a blast at one location, I noticed that they were always feeding under shade from trees. Then I remembered at Salish, when I found them feeding under trees, so I just put two and two together, and found more fish to pick on. I also caught my first MIRROR CARP ever which is a goal I've been holding onto all year!

The next day, I fixed up my fly rod with the same size hook, but made a "bread fly". I used some K-1 artifical bait I received for free last year by a great carp fisherman that sent me a boat load free stuff, THANK YOU AGAIN IF YOU'RE READING THIS! It took a while to find some feeders under trees or shade, but once I did, I had another INSANE day. I'm sorry in advance that I didn't take enough pictures because I've been just having a blast catching. The largest one I caught almost broke my line twice because my fly rod got tangled (noob), but once I saw those RARE MIRROR CARP SCALES AGAIN, I knew I was going to do whatever it takes to land this fish. After about 8 minute fight, I landed this SOLID MIRROR CARP:

What else I've been doing lately is SELLING AND GUIDING MY BUYERS to hopefully a large carp. I've been doing good on sales, but I could imagine a drop off coming; maybe when or if I go back to school. I've also guided a few of my buyers into some sight fishing too which made this week very exciting. I think it is very important for me to put out these rigs out to others, so they can have most of my somewhat skill with them when they fish at new or far places that I haven't been to and sort of report back to me on what they have caught; and of course I DO THE SAME. Sort of like a Fishing Monopoly as you will, so if you want to buy some rigs just message me and we'll help each other out.

Another thing I would like to add is I obviously am a Catch & Release fisherman, and I don't really like to keep my fish. I've been fishing way too long to notice that the average fisherman would like to FISH OUT an entire lake, pond, or even certain part of a River. I've caught well over 1000 carp in my 3 years of fishing, and have noticed one person can make a big difference in a fishing area. I've also seen one person many times, stock a lake or pond they like with a specific fish, and see the population of that fish sky rocket into oblivion. So it could go either way and I'm sure that the greatest fisherman already know these facts. Also, last month, I've noticed two things; I've been carded for my fishing license 3 times for carp fishing, and two, my spots are getting more heavily fished than they used to be. So just saying I am more inclined to not talk about fishing spots because the general public is starting to get on my nerves. Recently I was fly fishing for a giant carp, and this couple walked up to me to converse. I literally "HUSHED" them and pointed to the water. Just my little tangent I've always wanted to spit out there. So the moral of the story is that I will help you if you help me, or if you're a responsible fisherman. So please, fish well, and fish responsibly!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Dang, great report, as usual! You carp guys know how to have fun, fo sho! :D

I
igquick
Raincatcher said:
Dang, great report, as usual! You carp guys know how to have fun, fo sho! :D

fo sho thanks! lol

T
Toyracer38
Nice report. PM sent.

B
Big3d
Nice work bro! I'm lovin the pics of the little dudes. I think you have done more than your share of helping others get into fish, if you want to slow it down a bit, you earned the right to shush people at waters edge!

I
igquick
I
igquick
Big3d said:
Nice work bro! I'm lovin the pics of the little dudes. I think you have done more than your share of helping others get into fish, if you want to slow it down a bit, you earned the right to shush people at waters edge!

Thanks 3d! When I pointed to the water, there was a large 19 lber eating at the surface....so yea they kind of lost me that fish lol

M
markm
As a newbie to carp fishing I can say that I have already seen an increase in pressure from fisherman at local holes. All say that they hear that this place or that had large carp from reading this forum. My hope is that with the spawn on that they will lose interest and go back to trout or whatever. As you alrerady said a few meat fisherman can really hurt the population of fish out there. Once the big fish are taken, they are gone. Those genes to pass on traits are out of circulation. Once pressure increases, the bite slows for everyone.

I know I have asked a lot of questions but I also know my mental and my plans so I just figured everyone would do the same, not always the case. Basically I agree with you igquick. Sometimes zipping the lips does more for the sport than anything else.

With that said, I will still be texting you! lol

Mark

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
That is cool as hell!

S
sapo
Dude niiiice!!!!

I
igquick
@markm Yea definitely text me and good luck with your future fishing journeys!

@graphitezen thanks, you should try it sometime lol!

Thanks @sapo