Fly fishing equipment

F
flyguy
I wanted to start a thread for people to talk about fly fishing equipment...what you use? what you like? anything at all fly fishing...

Irishrover
Irishrover
Next to being out on the ocean chasing salmon, fly fishing is my favorite way to fish. I like St Croix rods because that company has treated me rather well over the years. I have broken a 5 wt and a spey rod. They replaced them (not at the same time-different years) without any hasstle at all. I believe their rods are good. I also belive there are rods made by other folks that are just as good or better. I have an old Fenwick 7wt that was given to me by a good old friend. I like the way it handles too. For reels I use Pflugger Medalist. I know, way old fashion and you hear the clickity click, but I'm a tradtional kind of guy and a cheap skate. I did up grade to a nice reel for my spey rod. Overall I just try to have fun with the fly fishing and tying flies. I'm always on the look out for feathers and fir!;)

M
Markcanby
Irishrover said:
For reels I use Pflugger Medalist. I know, way old fashion and you hear the clickity click, but I'm a tradtional kind of guy and a cheap skate.

I got one for my 8wt an I realy like the clickity!

B
bigsteel
flyguy said:
I wanted to start a thread for people to talk about fly fishing equipment...what you use? what you like? anything at all fly fishing...

its great to have another flyguy on board,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for trout i have my five weight orvis clearwater with battenkill reel,,,,,,,,,,then i have my fathers old fiberglass fenwick that i use for steelhead or if im using real heavy nymphs ill use it,,,,,,,,,,,i just got me a pontoon so now im ready to cover more water!!!!!!!!!!i mostly fish the santiam and deschutes,,,so its a lot of caddis,,,,,,elk hair,,,peacock caddis are great,,,,,the goddard caddis is one of the best in my opinion.........silveys caddis pupa is the best nymph pattern ive found along with the gabriels trumpet and crown jewel.................WHAT DO YOU USE,,,,,,,,,,i might have to come down and fish your river systems with ya

M
metalfisher76
I use Lamiglass. Like said(irishrover) they treat me right. Never a problem with exchanges. Even had 1 (out of 5!:shock:)tips replaced for free that was stepped on. All were free, I was just surprised when I told him that I stepped on it, after getting my fly outta the tree. He smiled, handed me a new 1 and that was it. I had a medalist for yeeeeeeeeeeeears. Just upgraded to the President and maaaaaaaaaaaaan I love it! Let there be drag, cheating I know;) Love the fly rod, an extension of my arm, not just a rod!

N
ninja2010
fly fishing newbie here... but ima double handed kinda guy... i like tfo for their great customer service and price. i have a 13'3" spey and just got a new 11' switch.

i luv that switch - it's the deer creek model and will be my go-to rod for ALL kinds of fishing in the pnw. lightweight, powerful, casts skagit and scandi lines like a dream, from heavy weighted dead chickens to itsy bitsy dry flies, this rod throws it all - and effortlessly - 70' to 80'.

reel-wise... well, they hold line for me - so i don't care much, but they're smooth as silk and all have great drag - hold lots of line.

F
flyguy
response to "WHAT DO YOU USE"

response to "WHAT DO YOU USE"

I just started using a custom made 5-6wt reel and a custom made 5 piece 6wt 9foot rod. I was using a Lochsa made by Loon Outdoors and Martin Mohawk River for years. I kept breaking the tip...so i decided to look for a packable version.

I do a lot of hiking, so the 5-piece is a plus...and super light. Lately, I have only fished the Grande Ronde and the Umatilla...a bh stone with rubber legs or a zug bug have been my flies of choice for my last couple of outings. I've been catching a lot of fish, just nothing very big.

Pics of my rod and reel:

Last edited by a moderator:
E
everett464
looks like an awesome setup.

F
flyguy
Thanks man, I also picked up a 2 piece 3-4wt and 2 piece 7-8 spey at the same time....and the exact same reel in both a 3-4 and a 7-8wt. They were a steal. Haven't had a chance to try the others out yet though. Stuck on the 5-piece. Love it.

G
GDBrown
Don't get a bigger rod!

Don't get a bigger rod!

flyguy said:
I do a lot of hiking, so the 5-piece is a plus...and super light. Lately, I have only fished the Grande Ronde and the Umatilla............. I've been catching a lot of fish, just nothing very big.:

Just change to a smaller rod it will seem like a big fish every time and it's a blast. I use my 4wt as much as I can for that reason.

I have a St Croix 7' 3-4wt, a 9' 6wt and an old fiberglass Shakespeare that I think is a 7wt. My reels are a mixed bag but I like the Pflugger Medalist the best. I recently pick up some intermediate sinking line after OnTheFly got me hooked on trolling green woolly buggers up at Clear Lake this spring.

T
troutramp
I am not married so here goes ha ha . I love the Gatti rods I have a 9ft 5wt in the frhp and frd2 series. I have 3 4wts in the fr3pa series 8ft,8.5ft,and 9ft. I also have a 9.5ft fr3pa in a 6-7wt. and an 8ft 5wt in the frta series. I have 3 Redington predators two 6wts and one 8wt they are all 7'10 those are my bass rods. I have a sage txl in 4wt that is 7'10 and a cabellas?? 6ft 4wt. I use a lot of lamson reels because the drags are the best in the industry for the money I have two konics in 1.5 and about 6 assorted spools, and a konic in a size4 with two spools. and a guru in 3.5 with two spools, and a litespeed in size 2 with two spools, and a velocity size3 with one spool. I have a Redington rise for a 5-7wt. and a sage 3850cf with 3 spools. I like the sage carbon spools lightweight and cheap. Oh and two tfo rods a 3wt and a fivewt. I know this sounds like a lot but I actually need more like a two handed rod with assorted reels and spools along with a switch rod .

F
flyguy
The small rod is a good idea! I have a 2-piece 3-4wt 9 foot graphite that I haven't had a chance to use yet...maybe next weekend I'll head out to the Grande Ronde again!

E
everett464
I love a 3 wt on a little stream, but I get a bit frustrated on even a midsize river, when I want that extra 20 feet or so on my cast. It does make little rainbows a lot more fun.

F
flyguy
I can't wait to try it! I have become the master of the 5-7 inch fish!

E
everett464
haha, I have felt that way recently as well. I think its just the way early summer goes on trout river though. I have caught probably 50 non-legals in the last three weeks.

F
flyguy
ha! me too! still fun though. I wanted to remeber what is was like to catch something big so I went and threw a nightcrawler in the Columbia River the other day and caught the carp on my Avatar. It must have been 25lbs plus...good fight too. Not on a fly rod though.

S
steelheadbum
Sage Z-Axis Product Review:

Sage Z-Axis Product Review:

zaxis6126copy2_393_general.jpg
This could quite possibly be the best all around, do everything Spey rods on the market. It’s progressive tip loads easily while the butt section has plenty of gusto to give’er the heat. While it’s a wonderful summer steelhead rod, it still has the power to fish heavy sink-tips and big flies on large winter rivers.

Rod Specs: Line:

Line: 7
Length: 13’6”
Sections: 4 Wt. In Oz: 7 1/8
Action: Medium-fast

The Sage Z-Axis 7136-4 has become one of our best selling Spey rods. It’s the perfect “All-around” rod for both summer and winter steelhead fishing on medium to large rivers. It can easily handle 12’ of Rio T-11 or Airflo T-10. In the hands of a skilled caster, it can handle 12’ of T-14 or T-13. The 7136 is a dream with floating lines. From long bellies to Scandi heads, this rod can do it all. Consequently, it’s a favorite stick for Northwest steelhead guides. John Hazlett, Matt McCrary, John Farrar, JD Love, and Scott Howell all use the 7136 on a daily basis. Its medium to medium-fast action combined with Sage’s Generation 5 Graphite makes it one of the easiest casting rods on the market. The Sage Z-Axis 7136-4 is a great choice if you’re looking for an easy casting Spey rod for any season.

SHB