Fly fishing beautiful coastal winter steelhead

brandon4455
brandon4455
i am going to hit some of my favorite streams for winter steelhead this season. and this time if i get it on time (christmas) i will have a fly rod and flies soon. i know of some decent patterns (egg sucking leeches,yarn balls,nymphs) the basic stuff ya know? but does anyone has any good technuiqes for exaple (wading in a stream casting upstream and letting the fly drift down twoards you) somthing like that thanks,

(btw could anyone point me in the direction of a good outfit for steelhead pre rigged with line and backing etc (no floating line please) for 100$ ? i would greatly appriciate it

brandon

Last edited:
E
everett464
(btw could anyone point me in the direction of a good outfit for steelhead pre rigged with line and backing etc (no floating line please) for 100$ ? i would greatly appriciate it

Such a thing does not exist. If you exclude the word "good," you may have better luck.

H
halibuthitman
you can get something off craigslist for the $150 range...

M
metalfisher76
No floating line?? How come? Not that I can help with this pursuit, just curious. Mending will be your friend and I find it`s easier to mend a line floating on the surface as opposed to a line dredging fast water. If I fish big water with big/deep holes I`ll tie weighted flies. Whatever you do, have fun on the coast :)

E
everett464
I agree with you on the floating MetalFisher. Mending is a bear in big holes as it is.

brandon4455
brandon4455
metalfisher76 said:
No floating line?? How come? Not that I can help with this pursuit, just curious. Mending will be your friend and I find it`s easier to mend a line floating on the surface as opposed to a line dredging fast water. If I fish big water with big/deep holes I`ll tie weighted flies. Whatever you do, have fun on the coast :)

thanks damon..but one question. how do you get a sinking fly to work with foloating line? do you just attach tippet to itor somthing.? im kindas stumped i need instructions :p

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
you can get something off craigslist for the $150 range...

ding ding ding we have a winner!!!! thanks brad

M
metalfisher76
Yeah, I don`t use tippet, but I`m not trout feeshin. Use a nice chunk of mono or flouro with a nail knot to yer fly line. Then a double surgeons knot to attach that to yer leader material. I try to end up with the length of my rod (9ft) for TOTAL mono/tippet/leader material hangin OFF my fly line. That`s steel fishin moving water. You can most certainly go longer when trout feeshin lakes or big holes. The length of that material will be about how far ya end up sinking. When I`m drift fishin with my fly rod I use the end of my fly line as an indicator of sorts. If it hesitates, sumpin be goin on!! Hope all dat makes sense??
You can find videos to those knots on utoob.

brandon4455
brandon4455
metalfisher76 said:
Yeah, I don`t use tippet, but I`m not trout feeshin. Use a nice chunk of mono or flouro with a nail knot to yer fly line. Then a double surgeons knot to attach that to yer leader material. I try to end up with the length of my rod (9ft) for TOTAL mono/tippet/leader material hangin OFF my fly line. That`s steel fishin moving water. You can most certainly go longer when trout feeshin lakes or big holes. The length of that material will be about how far ya end up sinking. When I`m drift fishin with my fly rod I use the end of my fly line as an indicator of sorts. If it hesitates, sumpin be goin on!! Hope all dat makes sense??
You can find videos to those knots on utoob.

yes it makes total sense. thanks damon i really appriciate it. looking forward to fishing with you next summer,

brandon

E
everett464
Were you able to find anything? When I was searching for used equipment, I found that, in general, the markdown on used fly equipment made it difficult to find something that I felt good about. Thus I have bough all of my equipment new.

Still, I know of several stories where people got slammin deals on stuff. Let us know how the search goes.

brandon4455
brandon4455
everett464 said:
Were you able to find anything? When I was searching for used equipment, I found that, in general, the markdown on used fly equipment made it difficult to find something that I felt good about. Thus I have bough all of my equipment new.

Still, I know of several stories where people got slammin deals on stuff. Let us know how the search goes.

i found an 8 weight loaded with line and backing for around 100$ brand new. its a redington corsswater combo. and it has a fighting but

E
everett464
I definitely gave that model a look or two. I think you probably could have done a lot worse.

Have fun with it!

F
FishFiddle
brandon4455 said:
i found an 8 weight loaded with line and backing for around 100$ brand new. its a redington corsswater combo. and it has a fighting but

Yep, that sounds like a pretty good deal. What is the reel? A decent drag is nice and a big enough spool to hold a decent amount of backing. I agree with Damon about the floating line. The sinking line can get to be a nightmare and especially challenging for a beginner. If you need to get deeper just put more lead on your fly or tie on a weighted dropper as well. Get a hat with a good brim to protect your ears as those weighted flies like to snag ears, etc.!!!! Good Luck!

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks guys.. im hoping to atleast accomplish gettin a bite or hooking a fish this season. i know it will be hard but im goin for it. ive heard it takes a long time to get a fish on the flyrod and ive seen it take a while for people to. but i just have to be confident i guess. and for the reel. idk let me look at the specs again.

brandon

G
GDBrown
Dick's has 8wt rods by "Field and Stream" for $40.00 right now. Not the best but it will get you in the ballpark for cheap to start with.