Fly fishing at Riverside Park on Clackamas

Stealbowtrout
Stealbowtrout
Hi everyone, I'm looking to do some pretty casual fishing at that location today (see tittle of post) and was wondering if it was a good spot for trout or even bass?

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Trout are released from Estacada and up river in the North Fork Res. If you do attempt for trout the chances of hooking up with a wild are very slim. In terms of bass, there probably won't be many, if any. You will most likely catch pikeminnow(lures) and suckers(bait). I would recomend going to the Tualatin river. A much better place to fish a medium sized river, with a lot more oppertunity, esspecially bass.

Reactions: Stealbowtrout
P
pdxflyguy
Are there any spots on the lower tualatin that you'd recommend for bass? closer to west linn? i've tried on the fly at browns ferry & swiftshore without much luck. Wondering if just using a spinning rod with a swimbait fish would be better.

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
I’ve fished off my kayak in cook park and browns ferry. Both spots were productive with a ned rig.

P
pdxflyguy
thanks. at browns ferry did you try and linger around the shorelines with the ned rig? I was there when the water was clearer one day and it seemed like there was a little bit of a shelf there. I haven't had many snag issues around browns ferry either which ive heard can be an issue at many spots in the lower tualatin. i tried a chartreuse trout magnet which is sort of similar to a ned rig, smaller obviously, and didn't have any luck. Any particular colors work for you?

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
I used roboworm’s Ned worms corresponding hook size from zman. Darker colors with a contrasting hot colored belly(dark brown and black over orange/yellow).

There is a shallow stretch just downriver from the dock that is good in the morning. Basically throw into the middle of the river in shallower water in the morning, and as boat traffic and heat progresses fish closer to shore in deeper spots, especially in shade and around structure.