Fluorocarbon

A
Airs98
What do you guys think of the fluorocarbon for leaders? I have used Maxima Fluorocarbon a few years ago and had very bad experience with that. PLine and Seguar seemed to work a little better, but still not optimal. Lost so many fish over the years on fluorocarbon. Tried to be very careful with the knots, yet still had problems. Any suggestions?

C
CFishRun
I love me some fluoro...but your right the knots are a pain. What you need to do is find a knot that slips into form really easily. Palomar Knots. This is the best knot I found for this line. Anything with twists or through the hole and back again, steps results in a weakened knot due to the friction caused when cinching it down. To resolve some of these issue try spitting on the line. Your saliva will act like a lubricant and reduce some of this friction. It really does help and you'll enjoy stronger knots and far less break offs. I used fluoro in Michigan for fishing light line in heavy cover. I loved the stuff and you'd be surprised what 8 lb. fluoro line can do to a 5# bass.

Hope this helps.

M
metalfisher76
When I tie on the water I`ll dip the line in the cold water, instead of my spittle. Although I do not use flouro. Hate memory. 8lb maxima has landed 30# chinook so I stick with it.

A
Airs98
metalfisher76 said:
When I tie on the water I`ll dip the line in the cold water, instead of my spittle. Although I do not use flouro. Hate memory. 8lb maxima has landed 30# chinook so I stick with it.

Leaders are usually short, so memory should not be a factor. Also, I wouldn't use the fluoro for salmon, but steelhead in low clear water may call for it.

M
metalfisher76
CFishRun said:
I love me some fluoro...but your right the knots are a pain. What you need to do is find a knot that slips into form really easily. Palomar Knots. This is the best knot I found for this line. Anything with twists or through the hole and back again, steps results in a weakened knot due to the friction caused when cinching it down. To resolve some of these issue try spitting on the line. Your saliva will act like a lubricant and reduce some of this friction. It really does help and you'll enjoy stronger knots and far less break offs. I used fluoro in Michigan for fishing light line in heavy cover. I loved the stuff and you'd be surprised what 8 lb. fluoro line can do to a 5# bass.

Hope this helps.

Airs98 said:
Leaders are usually short, so memory should not be a factor. Also, I wouldn't use the fluoro for salmon, but steelhead in low clear water may call for it.

I go to 6lb. I had a bad deal with the memory even on a 2ft leader. kinks, coiling my fly all over the place, breakage after a little rub that mono would have withstanded and NO stretch, I like a little give, been known to set a bit hard.

M
Mike123
I use it when the water is clear...

Steelhead-P-Line CFX or Seaguar 8-10lb.

M
metalmania
P-line flouro, I use it for most of my drift fishing leaders and have never had a problem with it:D

Y
youngbuck307
i didn't like it much one lil nick in it and seened like it was breaking to easy and i didn't want a steelhead run it across a rock and break off on it and that was with maxima I havent tried p-line or seaguar though would go with one of them befor the maxima i tried it 2 times to make sure it wasn't just one batch. gamma seemed to work ok though when i tried it for low water coho and I laned a few on it. I have seen normal 10lb maxima land a 25lb nook and was all chewed on and could see chunks taken out of it dont know what maxima did wrong with there flouro

M
Mike123
Flouro doesn't stretch very much... mono stretches more therefore absorbs more shock... Fluoro has more abrasion resistance. Flouro sinks faster than mono.

M
metalfisher76
Mike123 said:
Flouro doesn't stretch very much... mono stretches more therefore absorbs more shock... Fluoro has more abrasion resistance. Flouro sinks faster than mono.

The P-line I had DID NOT have more abrasion resistance. This was tested by me and a guide buddy in and out of the water, rocks, fingernail & teeth(to simulate fish teeth). When nicked the flouro pulles apart like pulled pork. That was only the one style, I just won`t go back. I`m sure some brands have there places, not for my winters though!

Last edited:
O
osmosis
I agree. Every fluoro that I've used has WAY less abrasion resistance than the maxima UG mono that I generally use. I am really un impressed with every fluoro that I've tried. The #12 breaks like it's 6lb maxima.

M
Mike123
metalfisher76 said:
The P-line I had DID NOT have more abrasion resistance. This was tested by me and a guide buddy in and out of the water, rocks, fingernail & teeth(to simulate fish teeth). When nicked the flouro pulles apart like pulled pork. That was only the one style, I just won`t go back. I`m sure some brands have there places, not for my winters though!

True... I hear that it has more abrasion resistance but I've noticed flouro breaks a lot easier due to this too... In the winter, (if the water isn't CLEAR) I use P-Line CXX for leaders.. that stuff is incredible... I have a hard time breaking 8lb test off when snagging up.. I've had to just cut my mainline..

Which P-Line flouro were you using?? Flouroclear, 100% Flourocarbon, or CFX?

Last edited:
M
metalfisher76
Mike123 said:
True... I hear that it has more abrasion resistance but I've noticed flouro breaks a lot easier due to this too... In the winter, (if the water isn't CLEAR) I use P-Line CXX for leaders.. that stuff is incredible... I have a hard time breaking 8lb test off when snagging up.. I've had to just cut my mainline..

Which P-Line flouro were you using?? Flouroclear, 100% Flourocarbon, or CFX?

I believe I tried the cfx. Been a couple years now. I`m a Maxima UG guy to the end.

M
Mike123
metalfisher76 said:
I believe I tried the cfx. Been a couple years now. I`m a Maxima UG guy to the end.

Yea I like UG up to the 12lb test... only for leaders.. not for mainline for me.

J
JSpencer
I actually have 10# Trilene flouro on my pole for steelies. I havent had any issues with it as of yet. And yeah i spit on my line for the knots.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I like the price of the trilene 100% flouro and you get a 100 yards for like $10!! Its strong too.

W
wormosa
CFishRun said:

Hope this helps.

or the rapala knot... here is a link to a tutorial
The Rapala Knot

S
steelhead_stalkers
Well there is a knot that is really the best you can tie for flouro and you would be a FOOL not to use it! :lol:

W
wormosa
exactly staulker, ......

A
Alaskan Assassin
Rio manufactures some great flourocarbon line but its expensive. I use it for tippet. I have tried p-line, maxima, and seaguar and didn't think they compared. Try Rio fluoroflex its great. Maxima was the worst I thought it just peeled apart when I put some heat and tension on it to straighten it out, Surprising cuz maxima mono is by far my favorite.