Fluorocarbon

D
Derek
I used the PLine floroclear and had on a steelhead and I let it go to much and when i realized it was heading for the only stick sticking up in the Pressure hole it was too late and it wraped around the stick I couldn't feel the fish anymore so I just yanked as hard as I could and my line came off and the fish was still there and got it landed 8LB test it was all nicked up but the fish never broke off. So i would say it works prety good for me anyways.

T
troutmasta
I use P-line floro. I like it for trout fishing, and most real clear water fishing. I've never had a problem with it. Its also great for bobber fishing.

F
FishAssassin
steelhead_stalkers said:
Well there is a knot that is really the best you can tie for flouro and you would be a FOOL not to use it! :lol:

And what would be the name of that knot?

S
steelhead_stalkers
The extra loop through the eye and extra loops around the line really increase its strength. Easy to tie too, love it!

M
Mike123
I've never had a knot break.. I use an improved clinch knot for mono, flouro, and braid. Only thing that's ever broke is the line away from the knot.
One day I want to test a bunch of different lines on a scale with different knots.
I think that would be very interesting!

M
metalfisher76
Mike123 said:
I've never had a knot break.. I use an improved clinch knot for mono, flouro, and braid. Only thing that's ever broke is the line away from the knot.
One day I want to test a bunch of different lines on a scale with different knots.
I think that would be very interesting!

It`s done on a show already, can`t remember the name of it. Steel stalker doe`s though, I think?

I gotta say I don`t have any issues w/ the improved clinch knot for eggs & plugs and stuff. The uni/fool knot is great for my fly fishin, which is 90% of what I do. You can loosen the knot just a touch(it slides up and down the leader) and this allows for more action from the fly. When ya set, it snugs up and the fight is on. Awesome knot!

Last edited:
M
Mike123
metalfisher76 said:
It`s done on a show already, can`t remember the name of it. Steel stalker doe`s though, I think?

I gotta say I don`t have any issues w/ the improved clinch knot for eggs & plugs and stuff. The uni/fool knot is great for my fly fishin, which is 90% of what I do. You can loosen the knot just a touch(it slides up and down the leader) and this allows for more action from the fly. When ya set, it snugs up and the fight is on. Awesome knot!

Yea I've seen that show! I just forgot the name too dang it.. :think:

Hmmm... I did not know that! Kinda how the Rapala knot works?

madasahab
madasahab
I am thinking of starting to use fluorocarbon leaders...what's the skinny? Is it strong and abrasion resistant? More hook ups? Is it necessary for Kings as I am under the impression only steelies are leader shy? any thoughts on this?

brandon4455
brandon4455
it's less visible then mono but has less stretch, i choose to stick with mono because it's cheaper and still catches fish but i believe in places where the water is really clear or the fish are spooky flouro can be helpful. you do not need flouro for chinook at all. i use 10-12lb mono for them. steelies you can use mono for too but i know a lot of people that swear by flouro

Last edited:
madasahab
madasahab
brandon4455 said:
it's less visible then mono but has less stretch, i choose to stick with mono because it's cheaper and still catches fish but i believe in places where the water is really clear or the fish are spooky flouro can be helpful. you do not need flouro for chinook at all. i use 10-12lb mono for them. steelies you can use mono for too but i know a lot of people that swear by flouro

yeah, I think I will stick to mono and lighten the line for low clear water...

K
Kevinb5688
I love fluorocarbin. It has less stretch, and steelhead have hard mouths. When you set your hook on a long cast with mono it gives and sometimes you dont get a good hookset. Another good thing is 15lb fluoro is like 12 lb mono in diamater, so you can get away with stronger line.
The only time i use mono is when trolling. Give it a try, i switched 3 years ago and wont go back.

C
colbypearson
If you are going to try fluorocarbon I HIGHLY recommend Sunline super FC sniper and Seagaur Abraz-x.

R
rippin fish lips
brandon4455 said:
steelies you can use mono for too but i know a lot of people that swear by flouro

Starting the summer of 2011 i switched over to flouro - 6lb for steelies... it feels like 8 and looks like 8lb test. And i can't even see it barely when it is in the water... When i switched, my hook ratio and catch ratio increased on all types of fish.

P
plumb2fish
For steelhead, I would say it's up to you...For Salmon, it's a waste of money I.M.O.

madasahab
madasahab
thanks guys I will try it for steelies and see what happens,but for salmon I think I will stay with copoly or mono

R
rippin fish lips
madasahab said:
thanks guys I will try it for steelies and see what happens,but for salmon I think I will stay with copoly or mono

I think you will dig it for steelies! but then again its up to you. I like the P-line flouroclear for steelies. It stretches and does get line abraisions quite a bit. but i have caught 2 steelies and 1 big arse redside with the leader having abrasions up and down it. When the line breaks... you will know, it sounds like a pole snapping! It's all up the you tho.

madasahab
madasahab
rippin fish lips said:
I think you will dig it for steelies! but then again its up to you. I like the P-line flouroclear for steelies. It stretches and does get line abraisions quite a bit. but i have caught 2 steelies and 1 big arse redside with the leader having abrasions up and down it. When the line breaks... you will know, it sounds like a pole snapping! It's all up the you tho.

yeah I have some of the p line 100% fc I am gonna try for steelies...for salmon I use P line cxx or maxima ug

K
Kevinb5688
can't go wrong with maxima green for salmon. Its a pretty cheap mono that works better than most 20$ lines.
But for steelies fluoro is way better.