Flounder and other flatfish

D
Drew9870
Anyone have some tips on catching Flounder? Rigs, Known Areas. I have been fishing Newport under the bridge around the finger jetties, and I have heard that even the occasional Halibut is pulled onto the Jetty, I wouldn't specifically target Halibut, but that would be a great gift from the sea.

Even tips on anything in Newport/Yaquina Bay other than Rockfish are helpful, even Perch and Bass info is appreciated.

I am shore fishing only, and do not have the choice of using a boat.

N
n8r1
I can't imagine it's the "preferred method" but I caught this flounder in the Necanicum Estuary on an orange wiggle wart while fishing for Coho. He was about 18 inches and made excellent crab bait.

• Picture 553.jpg
S
skunk
Cool, nice bonus!

C
CoastieFlo
Take a look on youtube at all the flounder videos, they are real popular fishery back east but I think a lot of the info is applicable out here. I know for one thing squid is a real good bait for them.......I think they have been pretty depleted out of Yaq bay so id try either down at Waldport by the jaws (on a good low tide you can walk real close to the edge of the channel on the south side (right off 101) or up in LC by the Mo's dock. I know they do good in Winchester Bay also but thats a ways for you. Good luck.

brandon4455
brandon4455
thats some great info coastieflo,i was wondering about this for a while these little guys would be fun to fish for while im at the coast

brandon

D
Drew9870
CoastieFlo said:
Take a look on youtube at all the flounder videos, they are real popular fishery back east but I think a lot of the info is applicable out here. I know for one thing squid is a real good bait for them.......I think they have been pretty depleted out of Yaq bay so id try either down at Waldport by the jaws (on a good low tide you can walk real close to the edge of the channel on the south side (right off 101) or up in LC by the Mo's dock. I know they do good in Winchester Bay also but thats a ways for you. Good luck.

Awesome, thanks, I figured I would want to plunk some Shrimp and wait for one to notice the smell, I didn't think to try dragging bait/jigs across the sand for them.

I'll probably try around the Clam/Shrimp beds using a rod set up with 8-10lb test.

I wish I could use my two rod stamp.

F
fishtales
n8r1 said:
I can't imagine it's the "preferred method" but I caught this flounder in the Necanicum Estuary on an orange wiggle wart while fishing for Coho. He was about 18 inches and made excellent crab bait.

Coho are catch and release there I think. How did you do besides the flounder? Looks to be a pretty good size. A friend of mine has a birthday that coinsides with that run of fish there. I never new till we celebrated at the cost that year.

N
n8r1
fishtales said:
Coho are catch and release there I think. How did you do besides the flounder? Looks to be a pretty good size. A friend of mine has a birthday that coinsides with that run of fish there. I never new till we celebrated at the cost that year.

It's catch and release unless you happen to bring in a fin-clipped coho that strayed in from another system. This is very rare but I did see a guy on the 12th street bridge showing off his clipped ho so it can be done. I didn't catch anything in the tidewater but a caught a few coho in the upper river, all natives that went back in.