Flossing question

C

Cohosanders

So I met this guy on the Santiam and we were talking about springers. He says he pulled in over 9 25-30lb springers @ 3 rivers(first clue). So I asked if he was using eggs and he said no then showed me his rig. A lead weight, a long leader w/one tiny red bead, and a hook. He sounded so proud of his catch. Is it me? or was this guy just flossing?:think: Do springers @ 3 rivers bite on or strike @ beads?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
N

nwkiller

most of those fools are flossing.......siuslaw and lake creek have the same dudes.....was down at the forks one day, this guy shows up wearing "non fishing" attire sits down next to us, casts his "poopy" rod out with what looked like 30 lb test on it, sat there for couple minutes...I thought he had a bite because he reached down and grabbed onto his rod....then he set the hook like he was fishing for over size sturgeon. with all the momentum his spool flew off his reel and deep into the bushes behind us. After reeling in his bush riddin line for about 20 minutes he sat back down next to us. We asked him what had happen and he said " well i lost the drag screw that goes on the top of the spool" (the words he said were minipulated because he didn't know what the f*** he was talking about...something like the "string and the reeler") anyway a few mintues goes by and here he is grasping his rod again, and again he sets the hook like an animal, and there goes his spool into the bushes again. well long story short this guy was defenetly trying to "floss" or "line" salmon, we told him if he didn't pack up his gear and head out we were going to pack him up and send him down river. The guy left without any comments. But i knew he was gonna be near my car when he left so i placed a call to the sherriff...course, they didn't show up.....and i had a flat tire..............trust me, ill see you around, and there will be less "asking you to leave" and more " making you stay"!!!!!! so to all you "liners" and "flossers", WE KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Thuggin4Life

Fisrt time I ever when to the forks that was the rig of choice. One guy had 9 big squaw fish on the bank. leader weight smallcorkie or bead or whatever. cast and wait. now thats not fishing. If it came down to being only able to fish this way or by the extremly long leader drift rig also know as the flossers special. I would choose flossing over snagging but really they are almost one in the same. Some guys swear by these methods because its how they were taught and its got them fish. And seems like every combat spot it really just a spot to legally snag or floss fish so you wont see me out there standing shoulder to shoulder.

F

fishingfreak

This is exactly why I only went to the Bowling Alley once on the Clack. I was drifting Eggs had a fish on and no one would pull their line in. When I finally lost the fish due to tangling lines and tripping over tackle. I noticed they were using a huge slider weight, large treble hooks with a small corkie. The guy fishing legitimately next to me called the police and they met us on the way out and went down to check gear and issue tickets. I will never go there again. It was totally messed up.

LA

Chromatose

Chromatose

Reads like flossing to me. 1-800- ticket.

Last edited:
B

BlackBass

First of all i dont think there was even 9 25-30 lb chinook in 3 rivers at all this year. IDK because i don't fish it. The rig of choice for flossing is long leader bead that you can see drifting and a chunk of lead. 3 Rivers is a joke

N

nwkiller

for someone who wants to "catch" a fish, and takes total pride when i do catch any fish.....i couldnt believe what this guy was doing....TOTAL IDIOT

B

beaverfan

LOL...There are a ton of guys that can only catch fish flossing and snagging and don't get the concept that as long as you don't line fish or bump them with your gear they will bite. Flossing happens on accident to most guys who spend any time on the river drift fishing. When guys go throwing 9' leaders and beads they are flossing no doubt, but there is nothing you can do about it legally.....so why do we keep rehashing this crap?

According to the person I talked to at ODFW the last time this was brought up it is illegal in there eyes. I was told that any fishing method that predominately causes a fish to be hooked outside the mouth or anywhere other than in the mouth is considered snagging. If an officer see's you setting the hook a couple times every cast you will more than likely get a ticket for attempting to hook a fish outside the mouth. So legally there is something you can do about it.

T

Thuggin4Life

The 2 OSP officers one of which trys to give a ticket everytime he sees me are very good friends with all the flossers at dexter. they come down and bs with all of them and hide in the bushes to write tickets but never for snagging unless its obvious and all the flossers ass long as the tag it, don't fish too early, and have the all the legal gear and liscenses get to continue to floss right in front of the law.

M

Mad dog

The Hatchery hole on the Rogue has to be the worst flossing hole ever! The ODFW even had to write a law for the upper river making 6' the maximum leader length allowed!

C

crusty old fisherman

it would be simple to remedy if ODFW wasn't afraid to lose half its snaggers errr i mean fishermen lol make it a rule that leaders ca not be over 4 feet long on drift gear plain and simple there is absolutely no need for a leader longer then 4 ft I have fished gin clear water with 4 foot leaders and the fish have no problem biting... with the beads thats on the cops because its already a law that you anything down on your hook or attatched to it has to be bouyant I believe.

Crusty

B

bigdog

it would be simple to remedy if ODFW wasn't afraid to lose half its snaggers errr i mean fishermen lol make it a rule that leaders ca not be over 4 feet long on drift gear plain and simple there is absolutely no need for a leader longer then 4 ft I have fished gin clear water with 4 foot leaders and the fish have no problem biting... with the beads thats on the cops because its already a law that you anything down on your hook or attatched to it has to be bouyant I believe.

Crusty

Now how would that work then eggs don't float worms don't float in fact one of the only things I can think of off hand that floats is a corkie, and from what I hear most seem to think that they are for snaggers. I don't see why though in fact a very small cork makes for a very good single egg presentation or other color corks and small piece of yarn are great for a flie or bug presentation.
There isn't a limit to how long of a leader people can use but there is a limit to how short of one you can use go figure.

C

crusty old fisherman

eggs shrimp and what not are nuetral bouyant so in the water they do not act as a weight like a glass bead does

crusty

D

DirectDrive

There's a "Take a Kid Fishing" program.....maybe there should be a "Take a Flosser Fishing Day" :D
You would pal up with a flosser, show him how to rig properly and then see what a "wilful take" feels like.
The pickup, the grab, the take.....that's the thrill.

If not, then you could just leave him deep in a canyon somewhere.....
with no shoes :lol:

Raincatcher

Raincatcher

Less than 50 feet from the Santiam River! :)
I like it

I like it

There's a "Take a Kid Fishing" program.....maybe there should be a "Take a Flosser Fishing Day" :D
You would pal up with a flosser, show him how to rig properly and then see what a "wilful take" feels like.
The pickup, the grab, the take.....that's the thrill.

If not, then you could just leave him deep in a canyon somewhere.....
with no shoes :lol:

:lol: That works for me. :lol:

M

Mad dog

Crusty

That is not true, bouyant only has to do with hook size or type and only applies to a few select rivers. No where in the regs does it say your bait must be bouyant, Otherwise no one would ever fish a spinner! :D

M

Mad dog

Springer caught on a straight bead while fishing summer runs, if most guys would scale down their gear they would be amazed how many springers they can get to bite!
SANY1031.jpg
You would have to be very lucky to feel a bite with a 6-9 ft leader while drift fishing! Here is another salmon caught the same day while steelhead fishing, 3-4 ft 12 lb leader 1 bead, #2 or #4 Gamakatsu hook. a lot of the time I will fish a small cluster of roe behind my bead but a good portion of the time steelhead and salmon will pick up that single bead....If you fish it right!
SANY1017.jpg