Florence Lake trout fishing

J
Joshua
Hi,
Me and my family have been traveling in an RV for 3 -4 months and so whenever I can I go fishing.

We are in Florence at the moment and I have gone to the Cleawox and Woahink lake, They are next to each other.

I have been using 6 Lb P-line, Powerbait doe, Treble hook, Splitshot and a Thill bobber.

I haven't gotten any bites. I see people on there boats out on Woahink but they have no luck either.

I'm not sure if I am doing this right.. If you have any other spots easily bank accessible or rig setups I would love to know!

+ My Grandpa can't fish anymore and used to a lot and would like to show me how to fish for the coho/silvers but I am new here and have no idea where any good spots are.

I am not sure of any good rigs and would like to know of some! I it would be amazing if there was a wheelchair accessible spot on the Siuslaw.

Any help will be loved!

- Josh

E
eugene1
First OFF, welcome to the forum.

Second, if you will be around when some serious rain comes, fish with your Grandpa on Siltcoos lake or river for silvers.

Best,

B
Berg03
I have had great luck in those lakes with just a bobber and worms. The trout there seem to always be on the move so I wouldnt have my stuff on the bottom as much. But thats just me :)

J
Joshua
eugene1 said:
First OFF, welcome to the forum.

Second, if you will be around when some serious rain comes, fish with your Grandpa on Siltcoos lake or river for silvers.

Best,
Thanks! There is some light rain for 2 days starting tomorrow. we are going to be here for about 10 more days. this is the info I need! Would you recommend any bait or hooks/lures? that would be amazing!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Joshua-

welcome to OFF and the Florence area. The coastal lakes here get heavily planted with trout from early Feb until the first week of June, by late summer they are mostly all caught, so this time of year you are not going to find many rainbows in the lakes.

there are yellow perch in many of the lakes and some SM bass, the big star this time of year are the coho runs that come into Siltcoos, Tahkenitch, and Ten Mile lakes...but these are mostly a boat fishing show, not much bank or public dock access in the areas where the fish will be. Tyee campground/day use area near Dune City has some bank access on the Siltcoos river but you would be trying to intercept a coho or searun cutthroat on it's way to the lake and that is a real long-shot. As of yesterday, we still do not have any coho entering the Siltcoos river....

the big fishing dock at Cleavox is a good option and you probably already found that but just not going to be many fish in there this time of year...

cheers, roger

B
Banjo
Try Munsel, there's a nice hole right next to the boat ramp.
Also try Sutton lake, it has a lot of easy trails leading to fishing spots from the highway next to the lake. (North of the parking lot)
Bottom fishing like you've been with power bait or worms should be productive.

troutdude
troutdude
Agreed w/ Banjo. Woahink's trout, aren't worth the effort IMO. Siltcoos has large fish; but you really need a boat.

BTW, if you were using a Thill Bobber...I suspect you were not fishing OFF the bottom. Try floating your bait, OFF the bottom instead of using a float. Try 3' of leader to start. No bites, then shorten it.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Banjo said:
Try Munsel, there's a nice hole right next to the boat ramp.
Also try Sutton lake, it has a lot of easy trails leading to fishing spots from the highway next to the lake. (North of the parking lot)
Bottom fishing like you've been with power bait or worms should be productive.

if you do fish Munsel be aware that there are coho in the lake, native and fin clipped, and they all must always be released. any silver fish with a forked tail is going to be a coho (they look like a kokanee for anyone familiar with them). usually lots of perch in Munsel and they are very tasty, very few rainbow this time of year in there, besides the color stripe look for spots on the upper and lower parts of the tail to make sure it is a trout. cheers, roger

Last edited:
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
There are some big holdover rainbows in Munsel it has a deep spot on the South end, 20 plus inch bows all year!

F
Fishpdx
Fished a couple lakes down there and caught jumbo perch up to 19inches!!! I thought I hooked on some big trout or bass, I used worms off the bottom, also caught some sm bass and 1 rainbow trout, but that was last august. Trout is good in the springtime. Also weird thing is if you catch a big perch you won't catch another one for like 2-3 hours. So try switching places.

B
billfisher
Where are you catching these state record perch at?

F
Fishpdx
Cleawox Lake was the lake I caught a 19" perch, I fished at 4am in the morning at the boat ramp, and only had one bite and hooked this huge perch, I tried powerbait,spinners,spools,eggs,worms,senkos . the worm did the trick, but it seemed like there wasn't any fish there. I fished from 4-9 and the weather got rainy and windy so I left.

All these lakes contain perch:
Alder Lake
Hult Resov
Mercer lake
Munsel lake
Sutton lake
Woahink Lake
I fished all these lakes except Hult Reservoir. All good with worms off the bottom or float. Caught perch,bluegill,rainbow trout,sm bass.

B
billfisher
Thanks Carp, I've fished tahkenitch for many years and never caught one over 131/2".

J
Joshua
Thanks guys but I have long left the area. I tried the Chinook at the Alsea but got nothing. They were jumping all over and put on quite a show. Thanks for your help!