Floating tubes ???

T
troutfisherman
i was wondering where in centeral oregon are good spots for flyfishing in a floting tube??
any comment will hepful !! thanks ??? :pray:

G
GDBrown
They work great in any of the high mountain lakes. Just don't let the wind carry you away! We have several members who use them all the time for fly fishing.

GD

T
troutfisherman
oky but where are the high mountain lakes?? like close to mt.hood ? and who are the several members who use floting tubes for fly fishing ?? i would like to ask them some questions about fishing on the floting tubes !! or ask u GDBrown ?? my questions are like where are good places to us them and do i have to has a lifejack on when im using my floting tube ? you knw just the basics for what to have and where to go when using a floting tube !!!! im a beginner at all this stuff and i have a girlfriend that wants to do somthing like that !! (fishing on a floting tube)

any info on fishing in a floting tube help a lot !!! thanks !

Troutski
Troutski
Little Lava lake....primo place to float and catch a bounty of fish....easy in and easy out.

Chuck

troutdude
troutdude
Wow, your question about where to go opens up a can of worms...er...um...flies.

Little Lava is nice, but quite a distance. There are tons of places that you COULD visit; and so little time.

Best advice: go into the water BACKWARDS and SLOW. When you get about waist deep, push a bit w/ your feet and simply sit down. BAM! You are then fishing from a easy chair. LOL And find a gradual incline to go in and back out. When coming out, also walk backwards.

Other good advice: be sure that your fins are on TIGHT. If you lose one, you'll be kicking in circles.

Oregon does not require a life jacket. But a lot of wise peeps wear small ones, the inflatable type I suspect.

Try Olive green and / or Black Woolly Buggers. But, I'd also try Terrestrial patterns this time of year. The fish are trying to fatten up, and love big fat grasshopper, ants, etc.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I see that you are located in Warm Springs....So here are a couple of place you might want to check out for your float tube. Rock Creek Reservior #1 head west on hwy 26 take the cut off to road 48 and head to Rock Creek Reservior. It's a great place for float tubes. #2 Frog lake just off hwy 26, or hit Clear Lake off hwy 26 before you get to Frog Lake. Or keep going on hwy 26 to Trillium Lake. If you go north from hwy 26 on hwy 35 you could hit Laurence Lake on the north side of Mt Hood, one of my personal favorites. Of course you could head east to Haystack Reservior, or Antelope Flates Reservior....

C
Coho Kid
There are a load of lakes up there: Davis Lake, Crane Prairie Res, Waldo Lake, Odell Lake, Crescent Lake, Diamond Lake, Prineville Res, Timothy Lake, Clear Lake.

I've been told some of the best fly fishing for big rainbows is in Crane Prairie with sinking fly line and a worm fly that mimics the native food source. All of these lakes have trout, and some have a more than modest bass population as well. I've personally caught some nice size bass for Oregon standards in Crane Prairie. I have done well for kokanee on both Wickiup and Paulina but these are both very deep as apposed to Crane Prairie which is a shallow lake. The one thing I will say about all of these lakes is that most are extremely healthy with an abundance of food for the fish. The biggest problem I had fishing these lakes is that the fish were often times stuffed and wouldn't bite.

T
troutfisherman
haha thanks troutdude but are those inflatable type I life jackets expensive ?? . and thanks to all you other guys too !!! but hey Irishrover where is Antelope Flates Reservoir ???

troutdude
troutdude
You're welcome.

I've never priced those inflatable jackets, so I don't know. Sorry.

Antelope Flat Reservoir:

• Located in the Ochoco National Forest
  • 170 acres at full pool
  • max. depth about 25'
  • elevation 5,000'
use sinking or sinking tip lines and general use wet flies (woolly buggers, Bead head Prince & Pheasant Tail Nymphs), Marabou Damsel patterns, Carey Specials, or Chironomid patterns.

Has a large campground on the west side

NO potable water at camp - take your own

From Prineville: take SR 380 (Post-Paulina Hwy.) southeast to milepost 30, turn right onto FR 17 to the reservoir. Go about 12 miles to a left-hand turn onto Spur Road 600, which leads to the reservoir

Good luck.

P.S. Information source: "Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon", by John Shewey / Wilderness Adventures Press, Inc. / 1st Edition, 2007

Last edited: