Floating the Siletz

M
Marc_Johnston
Is it safe to float the Siltez this time of year? I heard a guy flipped his drift boat in an accident recently down there. I am hoping to come and float fish it for some winter steelhead in the next few weeks but I'm not familiar with the river. Any insight would help! Tight Lines!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
oh yeah, plenty of good drift water, (I seriously wish I lived closer) the trick is to find some 'mile-by-mile' information on it, things like the best flow rate for that stretch, any serious rapids (especially the ones with names) and what water levels they are easy/hard/not safe at. "Fishing in Oregon" book by Madelynne Diness Sheehan is a good starting point, once you narrow down the sections of interest, go dig up even more info. A good option for lots of people is to take a guided trip down it in conditions that you want to drift it in. cheers, roger

Reactions: Marc_Johnston
P
pinstriper
I am with Roger. Every river will have stretches that are safe for some but not for all, and in different conditions. Best way to learn a new river is go a few times with someone who knows it well. A friend/fishing acquaintance if you can find, or a guide.

Reactions: Marc_Johnston
jamisonace
jamisonace
From Moonshine down to Logsden there are some tricky spots...one in particular is pretty nasty. If the water is up you can get around it. From the bridge (called 2 bridges I think) the rest of the way I can't think of anything too dificult. I've done it all except the stretch from Siletz (take out) to Ojalla and if you have any experience at all with a drift boat you will be fine.

Reactions: troutdude and Marc_Johnston
M
Marc_Johnston
rogerdodger said:
oh yeah, plenty of good drift water, (I seriously wish I lived closer) the trick is to find some 'mile-by-mile' information on it, things like the best flow rate for that stretch, any serious rapids (especially the ones with names) and what water levels they are easy/hard/not safe at. "Fishing in Oregon" book by Madelynne Diness Sheehan is a good starting point, once you narrow down the sections of interest, go dig up even more info. A good option for lots of people is to take a guided trip down it in conditions that you want to drift it in. cheers, roger
Thanks Roger!

M
Marc_Johnston
pinstriper said:
I am with Roger. Every river will have stretches that are safe for some but not for all, and in different conditions. Best way to learn a new river is go a few times with someone who knows it well. A friend/fishing acquaintance if you can find, or a guide.
Yeah that may be the way to go. Thanks for the insight!

M
Marc_Johnston
jamisonace said:
From Moonshine down to Logsden there are some tricky spots...one in particular is pretty nasty. If the water is up you can get around it. From the bridge (called 2 bridges I think) the rest of the way I can't think of anything too dificult. I've done it all except the stretch from Siletz (take out) to Ojalla and if you have any experience at all with a drift boat you will be fine.
Thanks for the insight!

Admin
Admin
Howdy Marc_Johnston,

You catch a big one. ;)

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF @Marc_Johnston. Good luck. Don't forget to post reports and pics!