float fishing

madasahab
madasahab
how good is float fishing for chinook? what's a good set up?

M
metalmania
madasahab said:
how good is float fishing for chinook? what's a good set up?

Floating eggs for nooks is one of the best ways to catch them, especially in the deep holes they like to hold in. I run anywhere from a 1/2 to 2 oz float rig depending on how deep and fast the water is.

madasahab
madasahab
thanks for all your help bro...it seems i will have to dedicate poles for float only and poles for mono...i have 2 poles a 10-20 and a 12-30 both 8'6"...which would be better for float fishing and what are good lb tests for mono and braid for chinook? thanks, chris

M
metalmania
madasahab said:
thanks for all your help bro...it seems i will have to dedicate poles for float only and poles for mono...i have 2 poles a 10-20 and a 12-30 both 8'6"...which would be better for float fishing and what are good lb tests for mono and braid for chinook? thanks, chris

I'd use the 10-20 for drifting/hardware and use the other for floating. The 10-30 is kinda overkill for steelhead, but will certainly work. I would put 30lb tuff line braid on your float rod and 15lb maxima ultragreen on your other. If your planning on fishing for steelhead I would drop the mono down to 10 or 12.

madasahab
madasahab
thanks again...yeah, i have a 9'6" 8-12 spin and 8'6" 8-12 cast for steelies...the spin is gonna be for float fishing...the other 2 i mentioned are for salmon...so i was thinking 20-30 braid on the steelie spin...12-15 mono on the cast and then for salmon 40 0r 50 braid for float and 20-30 mono for gear drift?

brandon4455
brandon4455
use less then 15lb braid for steelhead.

M
metalmania
madasahab said:
thanks again...yeah, i have a 9'6" 8-12 spin and 8'6" 8-12 cast for steelies...the spin is gonna be for float fishing...the other 2 i mentioned are for salmon...so i was thinking 20-30 braid on the steelie spin...12-15 mono on the cast and then for salmon 40 0r 50 braid for float and 20-30 mono for gear drift?

No problem dude. I'd stick to 30lb braid on your chinook float rod, as that's the max your rods rated to. 20lb ultrageen should work well on most of the valley rivers for drift fishing and throwing hardware.

F
fish4life
For chinook bobber fishing I use 65 or 80# tuff line I wouldnt go lighter than 50# It really dosnt matter if your rod is rated for 30# line because you will be using mono for leader. By using heavier braid you will have less problems casting and having line cut into spool the heavier line also floats better. I prefer the green over the white but if I am using the white I take a permanate marker and color the first 15 feet. Make sure you put line on reel very tight or you will have nothing but problems. I ussuallly use 1 1/1 - 3oz bobbers and 5-6/0 hooks. I ussually use 40# maxima ultra green for leader, esspecially for fall runs because if they swallow the hook they can cut your leader with their teeth. I lost one fish on the trask that was 50#+ because it sawed through my 40# leader. Good luck