Flies for carp?

brandon4455
brandon4455
i know plently of spots next year where i can wet a line for carp so my question is what fies do you use for them? the main spot is an area with a lot of vegetation so im guessing dry.. they just sit there all day and suck on the bottom occasinally rise to eat somthing and the water they are in is really muddy almost all the time thanks for any input id love to do this some time

brandon

H
halibuthitman
mathews makes a great fly for carp.... only has 3 feathers on the end of it and a very sharp tip.. I believe its called a solocam, hoyt also is a good one.. its what I use, on the other hand there are lots of shakesphere and fred bear ones... btw I like the carbon flies.. but the aluminum ones are ok... and the classic wood ones warp after getting soaked.... Good luck! ( he he I post this as a tribute to onthefly )

G
Growbug
OK.. you just opened a nice topic here.. grin.

Wonderbread fly... the whitest of white flys
attachment.jpg

or... a suggestion found on other forums, spin some white deer hair and cut a flat top.. singe the top and you have a floating chunk o white bread, or use foam, etc.. etc.

large worms (think BIG san juan) work if dropped off an indicator.

brandon4455
brandon4455
Lol!

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks for sharing growbug, and that bread fly looks awesome!

G
Growbug
Remember.. these are CARP.. so go for matching the hatch of WHITEST OF WHITE bread.
Copies of "Daves Killer Bread" or any other loaf costing more than 50c wont work.. Carp are picky eaters

brandon4455
brandon4455
Growbug said:
Remember.. these are CARP.. so go for matching the hatch of WHITEST OF WHITE bread.
Copies of "Daves Killer Bread" or any other loaf costing more than 50c wont work.. Carp are picky eaters

okay thanks :D

H
halibuthitman
Growbug said:

so, since the possibility of them being european carp exists.... do you have a french bread pattern of that fly, and for the midwest and south perhaps a texas toast popper?

brandon4455
brandon4455
halibuthitman said:
so, since the possibility of them being european carp exists.... do you have a french bread pattern of that fly, and for the midwest and south perhaps a texas toast popper?

HAHAHAHAHA. your killing me!!

G
Growbug
halibuthitman said:
mathews makes a great fly for carp.... only has 3 feathers on the end of it and a very sharp tip.. I believe its called a solocam, hoyt also is a good one.. its what I use, on the other hand there are lots of shakesphere and fred bear ones... btw I like the carbon flies.. but the aluminum ones are ok... and the classic wood ones warp after getting soaked.... Good luck! ( he he I post this as a tribute to onthefly )

I think of these more as Bullfrog flies.. mine's a CP Oneida Black Eagle

brandon4455
brandon4455
my grandpa loves to eat bullfrogs

brandon4455
brandon4455
any recomendations for waht b test leader to use for em? fluro or mono?

brandon

J
john montana
Just in case you are actually serious.

Carp will feed on the surface but usually only if there is a ton of food available, so if a guy were to chum them with bread (illegal in or I think) you could probably get them on a bread fly. They will come to the surface for natural food sources like cottonwood seeds, large bug hatches or berries falling in the water as well. But, when surface feeding they are pretty obvious and in my experience they rarely do it unless there is a lot of food on the surface. Like most fish, they eat the bulk of their diet subsurface.

Look for feeding fish that are tailing (head down and tail up) and then put the fly right on them. They have crappy eyesight and feed by scent and feel so you really have to feed them an artificial, non scented fly.

As to what fly, anything that looks like food they are used to seeing. Due to their eyesight, you don't need to be fancy and general looking stuff is all I use. As mentioned, San Juan worms are great. I use a basic green nymph with hackle in a size 12 a lot. Other flies worth trying would be rubber legged hares ears, wooley buggers and the carp carrot (orange fly with dumbbell eyes). I fish mostly sizes 10-12 so they don't make much splash. Get the fly to sink and hit the bottom within the carps cone of vision and if they see and like it, they will usually mosey over and pick it up. Don't expect a big charge or firm take.

Good luck, hope this helps.

brandon4455
brandon4455
john montana said:
Just in case you are actually serious.

Carp will feed on the surface but usually only if there is a ton of food available, so if a guy were to chum them with bread (illegal in or I think) you could probably get them on a bread fly. They will come to the surface for natural food sources like cottonwood seeds, large bug hatches or berries falling in the water as well. But, when surface feeding they are pretty obvious and in my experience they rarely do it unless there is a lot of food on the surface. Like most fish, they eat the bulk of their diet subsurface.

Look for feeding fish that are tailing (head down and tail up) and then put the fly right on them. They have crappy eyesight and feed by scent and feel so you really have to feed them an artificial, non scented fly.

As to what fly, anything that looks like food they are used to seeing. Due to their eyesight, you don't need to be fancy and general looking stuff is all I use. As mentioned, San Juan worms are great. I use a basic green nymph with hackle in a size 12 a lot. Other flies worth trying would be rubber legged hares ears, wooley buggers and the carp carrot (orange fly with dumbbell eyes). I fish mostly sizes 10-12 so they don't make much splash. Get the fly to sink and hit the bottom within the carps cone of vision and if they see and like it, they will usually mosey over and pick it up. Don't expect a big charge or firm take.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Found a pic of the green fly that I fish a lot. They ate the he'll out of this last season...
72c9088f.png

i noticed the water they are on has a lot of cottonwood trees and blackberry bushes that hang over the water,, looks like a good spot for it, and yes im serious about it. carp on a fly sounds awesome. thanks for the help it's much appriciated

brandon

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
my 8wt won't be to small will it?

J
john montana
8 wt is fine. It really depends on the fish. I use a 6 wt for a lot ofmlocal ponds with 5-10 lb carp but go to am7 or 8 when fishing for anything in the teens. I landed around 15 fish last season that were over 20 lbs, all on a 9 ft 6 inch 7 wt. I use 1x tapered leaders. No tippet.

brandon4455
brandon4455
john montana said:
8 wt is fine. It really depends on the fish. I use a 6 wt for a lot ofmlocal ponds with 5-10 lb carp but go to am7 or 8 when fishing for anything in the teens. I landed around 15 fish last season that were over 20 lbs, all on a 9 ft 6 inch 7 wt. I use 1x tapered leaders. No tippet.

aesome because i didn't order any tippet, this rod is going to get punished, ill mainly use it for steelhead but ill be carp and bass fishing with it as well, and yes these carp are big.. ivem seen a few tha were i the 20+ range hanks again for all the help can't wait to try this out

brandon

J
joesnuffy
I use a 6wt rod for carp. It's a hell-of-a-fight but lots of fun. I run 10lb floro tippet with it.

As for flies, most any small nymph pattern will work. I've also caught them on San Juan worms (have a couple different colors of those).

I've heard that they don't like anything flashy or metalic....... but I've caught them on Bead Heads......

Good Luck!

brandon4455
brandon4455
joesnuffy said:
I use a 6wt rod for carp. It's a hell-of-a-fight but lots of fun. I run 10lb floro tippet with it.

As for flies, most any small nymph pattern will work. I've also caught them on San Juan worms (have a couple different colors of those).

I've heard that they don't like anything flashy or metalic....... but I've caught them on Bead Heads......

Good Luck!

T
Troutier Bassier
8wt rod is fine. Overhaning blackberry bushes? Good! If they fish are feeding around them (they might not) make a fly that resembles a blackberry.

I've seen carp feeding on the bottom in relatively shallow water (3' deep) and about 10 feet away from shore. You have to be extra sneaky! they see EVERYTHING. Nymphs fished on the bottom catch fish. Especially if its a muddy bottom, dragging nymphs on the bottom is effective.

Good luck